Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Adding new column to PowerBI Dataset

Hi,

Currently, my PBI report is connected to a PBI Dataset and I'm looking to add new columns to this dataset from the source connection (in this case Alteryx).

WIll this cause any issues when I refresh the report? Will any of my visuals be affected or any of the measures that I've created?

Thanks

afk

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @bo_afk 

When you add a new column in Alteryx, if you want this column could be used in report, you need to update in "PBI Dataset" first. eg. download this pbix file and then update query code in Edit Queries like this post:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-cell-not-being-imported-from-CSV/m-p/582186#M275577

Then republish it to power bi service. 

Now you could use this new column in the report, otherwise, it won't appear in next report.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your suggestion @v-lili6-msft.

However, I'm unable the edit queries in my report as that option is greyed out. I can only select "data source settings". I assume this is because I'm connected to a Power BI dataset?

thanks

afk

hi, @bo_afk 

For example:

There is a datasource that you use it to create a report A, and then publish report A to Power bi service.

Now you use power bi desktop to connect to report A to create a report B. 

Now, there is a new column in the data source. You need to download Report A file and then update query code in Edit Queries like this post:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-cell-not-being-imported-from-CSV/m-p/582186#M275577

Then republish it to power bi service. 

Do not need to do these for report B.

Best regards,
Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thanks for the explanation. However, I still can't seem to update the query code in Edit Queries as it's still greyed out. I should also mention that I initially created report A in Power BI Desktop so I assume there is no need for me to download the report from Power BI Service? I did try to download it from Power BI Service but again, was unable to edit queries.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this.

EditQueries.JPG

hi, @bo_afk 

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Best Regards,

Lin

hi, @bo_afk 

Do you mean that "report A" is also connected to a power bi service dataset? If so you need to find the first report that is connected to data source, not connect to power bi dataset. then download it from Power BI Service and edit queries,

then republish it. this report is not originally connected to the data source.

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.