Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding month names and sorting accordingly

Hello,

I have a report with a direct connection to SQL, with the column of months listed as numbers from 1 to 12.

Now, in my visuals, I would like to present these months with names (Jan to Dec), and then sort them chronologically.

How can I add a new column, that would provide me with month names, depending on the number of the month?

So, if I have number 1, I would like a "January" in a column next to it... Hope I am clear.

And the reporting is updating itself. Currently I only have months from 1 to 6, and soon the 7 will be imported. I would like to have a July for it ready 🙂

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In your Date table using Power Query, use:

Table.AddColumn(#"Replace_with_previous_step_name", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Date]), type text)

This way, you have a column of Month names in your Date table. Make sure you also have that column of Month Numbers in the same date table. Then, once you have loaded everything and are in the main interface, go over to the Table view and open your date table. Select the Month Name column, click Sort By, and select the month number column. Once this is done, your model will show the correct order of months.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

In your Date table using Power Query, use:

Table.AddColumn(#"Replace_with_previous_step_name", "Month Name", each Date.MonthName([Date]), type text)

This way, you have a column of Month names in your Date table. Make sure you also have that column of Month Numbers in the same date table. Then, once you have loaded everything and are in the main interface, go over to the Table view and open your date table. Select the Month Name column, click Sort By, and select the month number column. Once this is done, your model will show the correct order of months.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know where to enter that in Power Query, but you pointed me in the right direction. I added a conditional column in Power Query, and then sorted the column by the month numbers. Thank you.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you have a number for month, You can mark that as sort columns. Else you have to create one

Sort Month.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

All I have is a number column for month. And I would like to add your "Month" column that you have selected in the screenshot, to finally sort it by that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.