Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DanielB_NL
Frequent Visitor

Adding data from column from unrelated table

Hi all! 

This is the situation:

• Our company is working with an ERP-system, based on an MSSQL-database
  • I connect with Power BI to the database and normally this works fine: I can find the tables, create the relationships and get the desired data
  • In this particular situation the starting point was that I wanted to recreate a form from our ERP-system and thought it was simple by putting the colums from the table stock_purchase_advice_article_purchase_receipt into a visual, but I'm missing an important column.
  • I can see that in the ERP-system the colum is added from another table purchase_receipt_line with the help of this SQL-query 

select min(prl.sequence_nr)
    from purchase_receipt_line prl
    where prl.purchase_receipt_nr = t1.purchase_receipt_nr
    and prl.article_code = t1.article_code

So, if I'm right: this is a join based on the purchase_receipt_nr and the article_code? I've tried to make a relationship based on these two columns (used the CONCATENATE-function to merge two columns, so I could trick power BI to make a multi-column relationship), but I still get a many-to-many relationship with unexpected results, so this isn't working.
  • My question, how do I convert the SQL-query in such a way I can add a column sequence_nr to the stock_purchase_advice_article_purchase_receipt table in a similar way?

Example of how the table in the ERP-system looks like: in yellow the column which is added with the SQL-statement.

Table_ERP_system.png

I hope someone can help me out! Thanks in advance,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mohammedadnant
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @DanielB_NL 

One workaround is that creating a bridge table,

1. extract the purchase_receipt_nr and article_code from both the tables

2. append these 2 new tables add a new column to concatenate 2 columns, and remove duplicates --> now this is a dimension table with 3 columns (purchase_receipt_nr, article_code & concatenate of these 2)

3. do the concatenate in both the detailed tables

4. make the relationship from the dimension table to both the detailed tables with concatenate column

5. take the purchase_receipt_nr and article_code from the dimension and others as regular measures...

hope this will help.. 

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Adnan

Learn Power BI: https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan

View solution in original post

Hi @mohammedadnant,

It was a step in the right direction.  In the end it ended up in a many-to-many relation. I used your suggestion to create a dimension table, but added the sequence no. column to this table, created the concatenated column based on purchase_receipt_nr and article_code and removed duplicates based on the concatenated column. In practice, the chance that on one Purchase Receipt No. there are more of the same Article is very small, so the 'damage' done by removing the duplicates is close to zero.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DanielB_NL
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Mohammed,
Can you please elaborate how to do this and how to extract the purchase_receipt_nr and article_code from both the tables? 

For your information: I'm connecting to the tables in DirectQuery mode: I don't know if this relevant for your solution? Kind regards,

mohammedadnant
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @DanielB_NL 

One workaround is that creating a bridge table,

1. extract the purchase_receipt_nr and article_code from both the tables

2. append these 2 new tables add a new column to concatenate 2 columns, and remove duplicates --> now this is a dimension table with 3 columns (purchase_receipt_nr, article_code & concatenate of these 2)

3. do the concatenate in both the detailed tables

4. make the relationship from the dimension table to both the detailed tables with concatenate column

5. take the purchase_receipt_nr and article_code from the dimension and others as regular measures...

hope this will help.. 

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Adnan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan

Hi @mohammedadnant,

It was a step in the right direction.  In the end it ended up in a many-to-many relation. I used your suggestion to create a dimension table, but added the sequence no. column to this table, created the concatenated column based on purchase_receipt_nr and article_code and removed duplicates based on the concatenated column. In practice, the chance that on one Purchase Receipt No. there are more of the same Article is very small, so the 'damage' done by removing the duplicates is close to zero.

Hi @DanielB_NL 

Thanks for your reply, in your case, you are right, sometimes it is needed,

could you please give thumbs up to my answer.

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Adnan

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.