Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GavinR87
Helper II
Helper II

Adding data each month

Hi all,

This is a very beginners question, but I am really struggling to work out the best way forward.

Essentially I download a CSV file of data each month. Last month was when I first started using Power BI and have learnt how to build a report that meets most of my needs from this.

However the challenge is now how do I add another months worth of CSV data (seperate file) into my report, and make it so that the data is already there in the way I have formatted it.

So more simply:

1) I had a CSV file

2) I inported this into Power BI and did a number of transformations to the data and made various visualations.

3) How do I now add in the next set of data?

As I have renamed, removed, duplicated, and transformed columns in my query, does this mean I can't add a new CSV file as it doesn't know what data links to where?

Grateful for any help - hopefully I have explained this well enough.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @GavinR87,

I would append the new query. (Here is how -> https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/04/09/combine-or-append-data-in-power-bi-power-query-main-conce...)

But in order to still have your transformations in place I would 

1. Get the new Data
  2. Click on the "old query"
  3. Look at the transformation steps on the right hand side
  4. Click on that step where no transformation took place
  5. Do the append thing
  6. Now the append step is in between the others
  7. All the following transformations should work IF(!) the structure didn't change.

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it a 'thumbs up'? This will also help others

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @GavinR87,

I would append the new query. (Here is how -> https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/04/09/combine-or-append-data-in-power-bi-power-query-main-conce...)

But in order to still have your transformations in place I would 

1. Get the new Data
  2. Click on the "old query"
  3. Look at the transformation steps on the right hand side
  4. Click on that step where no transformation took place
  5. Do the append thing
  6. Now the append step is in between the others
  7. All the following transformations should work IF(!) the structure didn't change.

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it a 'thumbs up'? This will also help others

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

Hi @JosefPrakljacic 

just one theoratical question. What would happen if the structure of the data has changed?

F.e. I have a json-dataset from months Jan-March and now want to add months April-May. I think i could use the same solution you suggested. But what if some fields have changed (added new fields in between, deleted some, ...)

Thanks in advance.

Bg Jack

Hi Josef,

Perfect, thanks so much for the quick reply 🙂

I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again!

You are very welcome. 

If something isn't working just reply to this message. I will try to answer it asap.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.