Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding comments in the cell of Table Visualization

Hi,

Can we add Comments in the cells of Table visualization similar to what we have in Excel? 

The reason I am asking is  because in my Table visualization I have conditonal formatting set where i have highlighted few cells based on my If statements. I want user to hover over it and read the comments to know why the cell is highlighted.

Please let me know if we have something like this.

Your reply is appreaciated!

Thanks,

Tejaswi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous so they had a june 2019 update.

Click on the visual -> Formatting pane -> Visual Header - > Select the drop down to Switch on the visual header Tooltip option.

Comments_1.png

This brings up another card in the formatting pane called visual header tooltip under visual header:

Comments_2.png

Select the Drop down and you will be able to see the title: Type in the conditions you want the users to know. 

comments_3.png

Then you would see a question mark on the visual that will show this comment .. Then you would see a question mark on the visual that will show this comment ..

Comments_5.png

Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mochabits
Helper II
Helper II

@Anonymous 

You can add a custom tooltip to your visual like this one: 

tooltip.gif

To create a custom tooltip - you create a report page. Go to the page format, turn on tooltip in the page information.

tooltip_page.gif

To enable a custom tooltip for your visual, go to format -> expand "tooltip" section -> select "Report Page" type AND select the tooltip page name.

tooltip_page1.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mochabits 

I don't see the Label color option in my Custom Tooltip.

Also the page dropdown shows only 1 Option of AUTO. 

However , when I turned it ON , and if I hover over it, it shows me all the data in that row . 

So do I need to add another column in a table to just write a comments across each highlights  so if we hover it pop up in a comment? or is there any other work around.

Capture12.PNG

@Anonymous  To see the page setting, you have deselect all visuals by click a blank spot on the page. Then go to the page format. This is something you will for the tooltip page. After it's done, go to the visual page, select the visual, go to visual's format to set the tooltip.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Not sure if there is a way to do that .. But when you publish a report to the server, you can find a comments section where you can give your reasoning. Maybe that would help?

I usually form a text box and type the details in that and place it near the visual (But would be great to know if there is an actual workaround!)

Otherwise check out the comments option in server:

To enable CommentsTo enable CommentsHow it would appear on Power BI Server near a report/ dashboardHow it would appear on Power BI Server near a report/ dashboard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Akshaya,

Thanks for your reply!

Will this comment appear near the highlights of the cell?

Because  in my Table every cell which is highlighted in the table has different conditions.  ( so with the text box and coments it would be too busy dashboards.

So I am looking for an option where I can have this comment on the table itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous so they had a june 2019 update.

Click on the visual -> Formatting pane -> Visual Header - > Select the drop down to Switch on the visual header Tooltip option.

Comments_1.png

This brings up another card in the formatting pane called visual header tooltip under visual header:

Comments_2.png

Select the Drop down and you will be able to see the title: Type in the conditions you want the users to know. 

comments_3.png

Then you would see a question mark on the visual that will show this comment .. Then you would see a question mark on the visual that will show this comment ..

Comments_5.png

Hopefully this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.