Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndréN
Regular Visitor

Adding column with banding and m

Hi everybody.

I'm new on PowerBi.

For a few days i try to make a banding but into power query and not with DAX.

I explain myself

I have 2 tables :

- First one called Criteria with  Label, LowerLimit, UpperLimit

- Second one called Accounts with AccountNumber, AccountName

Here an extract of my code into PowerBi (that does not work !!)

let
    Criteria = #table({"Label", "LowerLimit" , "UpperLimit"}, {{"Goods solds", 70700000 , 70799999}, {"Other sales", 70800000 , 70899999}, {"Services", 70500000, 70699999}}),
    Accounts = #table({"AccountNumber", "AccountName"}, {{7070100, "Local sales"}, {70800070, "Ancilary Sales"}, {70600000, "Services in Europe"}, {70610000, "International services"}, {70590000, "Local services"}, {70710000, "International Sales"}}),

Lookup = Table.AddColumn(Accounts, "Lookup", each Table.SelectRows(Criteria, each [AccountNumber]>= [LowerLimit]))),
    // this doesn't work, it returns no rows from the SelectRows funtion.

// And after making an expand showing the Label from table Criteria
in
    Lookup

I have found a DAX expression using CALCULATE and FILTERS but in criteria there are other columns and i have to create a relation between table Criteria and Account. When i do that i have a warning message that said i couldn't do that because of redundancy problems.

So i try to find a way to do it in M. And i find the challenge interesting and i have all my transformations of accounts into a single screen.

I find this solution https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Complex-PowerQuery-Merge-query-using-substrings/m-p/45455#M... from @ImkeF but it use text comparaison and i want it on number.

The goal, if possible, is to compare each AccountNumber with the lower and the upper bound so it will retrurn only one row and putting the label into this new column.

If someone has a suggestion, i couldn't find a solution of this problem into this forum.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ImkeF.

Thanks for this answer but it isn't what I need.

Thanks for your answer @Greg_Deckler 

After some hours I find a solution that suit me well. If i could have your opinion and if you know another maner to do that (always without DAX ... 😉 )

You could past this in a new query to see what i intend to do. 

let
    Criteria = #table({"Label", "LowerLimit" , "UpperLimit"}, {{"Goods solds", 70700000 , 70799999}, {"Other sales", 70800000 , 70899999}, {"Services", 70500000, 70699999}}),
    Accounts = #table({"AccountNumber", "AccountName"}, {{70701000, "Local sales"}, {70800070, "Ancilary Sales"}, {70600000, "Services in Europe"}, {70610000, "International services"}, {70590000, "Local services"}, {70710000, "International Sales"}}),
    Lookup = Table.AddColumn(Accounts, "LookupCol", each Table.SelectRows(Criteria, (lookupcat) => [AccountNumber]>= lookupcat[LowerLimit] and [AccountNumber]<= lookupcat[UpperLimit])),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Lookup, "LookupCol",{"Label","LowerLimit", "UpperLimit"}, {"Label", "LowerLimit", "UpperLimit"})
in Expand

In the Expand step i only expand for the Label and so i have my accounts number whit their category depending of lower an upper limit.

As it is in M i coul add other steps and operations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi
If I'm not mistaken, this could be the solution https://youtu.be/EYgKciBr_dg

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF.

Thanks for this answer but it isn't what I need.

Thanks for your answer @Greg_Deckler 

After some hours I find a solution that suit me well. If i could have your opinion and if you know another maner to do that (always without DAX ... 😉 )

You could past this in a new query to see what i intend to do. 

let
    Accounts = #table({"AccountNumber", "AccountName"}, {{70701000, "Local sales"}, {70800070, "Ancilary Sales"}, {70600000, "Services in Europe"}, {70610000, "International services"}, {70590000, "Local services"}, {70710000, "International Sales"}}),
    Lookup = Table.AddColumn(Accounts, "LookupCol", each Table.SelectRows(Criteria, (lookupcat) => [AccountNumber]>= lookupcat[LowerLimit] and [AccountNumber]<= lookupcat[UpperLimit])),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Lookup, "LookupCol",{"Label","LowerLimit", "UpperLimit"}, {"Label", "LowerLimit", "UpperLimit"})
in Expand

In the Expand step i only expand for the Label and so i have my accounts number whit their category depending of lower an upper limit.

As it is in M i coul add other steps and operations.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If it's M, it's @ImkeF 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.