Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding calculated columns to matrix visual

I'm trying to figure out how to add calculated columns to a matrix visual. I have a data set in excess of 10M records. Via a series of slicers the data set gets reduced to records of interest. Those records are aggregated into a very simple matrix visual (example shown below). 

I'm trying to figure out how to add a calculated column to that matrix visual. Each National Estimate would be used to make 3 new cacluations. I need the whole table to be interactive and adjust with the slicers that feed the matrix.

Addmittely I am new to PowerBI and I hope this is as simple as I think it should be.

I appreciate your insights.

Dean

Matrix visualMatrix visual

YearNational EstimateCalcuated Column
2017      14,727,704 
2010      14,694,928 
2012      14,614,128 
2016      14,319,418 
2011      14,162,084 
2015      14,132,697 
2013      14,033,745 
2009      13,966,898 
2014      13,860,971 
2008      13,456,353 
2001      13,310,088 
2007      13,232,338 
2006      13,232,263 
2004      13,096,983 
2000      12,924,488 
2002      12,790,786 
2003      12,720,947 
2005      12,608,693 
1999      12,165,225 
1998      12,049,690 
6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm assuming that when you refer to calculated columns is a new column on the matrix and not on the data correct?

Just as a reference when you refer to calculated columns in PBI we are refering to columns that are added to the dataset tables and not on the visuals, this columns can then be used on the visuals. This calculated columns will increase the size of your file off course.

In your case if you want to add information to your matrix based on the slicers selection you need ot add a measure, however this has different ways of calculating than a column since for the use of measures you need a summarization formula.

Example of a measure is 

Total Estimate = SUM(Table[National Estimate])

this will give you the same total as you have the estimate column but the important part of this is that I have to use the SUM formula to get a result based on context, that ocntext comes from filters, visual, information within the measures.

Please check this article with further explanation on columns and measures.

If you need assistance can you please share some more information about what you want to achieve, sample data and expected result.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I want to add new columns on the matrix and not on the data correct?

I neet to take those National Estimates and perform and report an algebraic calculation for each. The first is a complex equation that is a curve fit for a government graph. From that comes two simpler calculation using the National Estimate and that new calculation.

The whole of the effort is intended to eliminate a manual step of using a graph.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous ,

What would the three calculated columns be?  Though, since the original table is being filtered down you would probably want these to be measures. But one step at a time, if you could list out what the 3 calculations are that would be extremely helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was seeking to keep it as simple as possible. I figure any simple algebraic example would be sufficient to get me. In reality I'll be using  a complex equation that apporoximates a curve from a government graph. The formula uses the the calculated National Estimate divided by1000 and then an exponent and natural log type equiation. From that I have two more simple algebra calculations to make and report.  The ultimate goal is to calculate what is now a manual lookup from a published graph.

Thanks for you question. If you can Help, I'd be super greatful!

Hi @Anonymous 

You could create measures and add them in the Value field.

For exponent and natural log type equiation, you could use EXP and LOG function.

Learn syntax here : EXP functionLOG function

Note that you might receive an error if the value is too large or too small.

2.png

Measure_divide = SUM(Sheet2[National Estimate])/1000

Measure_exp = EXP([Measure_divide]/1000)

Measure_log = LOG([Measure_divide])

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately the "National Estimate" numbers aren't sitting conveniently in a table as in the example. In my actual data, the "National Estimate" is a calcuated column of a in a Matrix visual. The visual gets calculated as a function of multiple slicers. I'm seeking to do additional columns based upon the results shown in the matrix visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.