Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding another set of data/ spreadsheet into existing visualisation

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well!

So I created a dashboard based on an original set of data.

In this post, I want to find out how to add to the original set of data and keep the visualisation the same?

I know I can add to the original excel dataset but there is a limit in terms of how much data I can add in there.

So I am thinking about adding the new data  using a separate spreadsheet. This means each month/quarter, I will be able to update the dashboard with new data.

How do I go about doing that? Does this mean creating a relationship between exisiting data and the new data sets?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I am assuming that your new excel spreadsheet with updates for every month/quarter will have similar structure to the data hat you have used for building your dashboard. If this is the case, you can append this new data to the existing data in Power BI Query Editor.

In Power BI, import this new excel file as a datasource. Go to Query Editor. Here you will see your old dataset and new dataset.

Click on your old dataset file in query editor and navigate to Append Queries option as shown below:

Append_PBI.png

You can either append new data in existing datasource which is used for visualisations or append as a new.

I will suggest the "Append Queries" option in your case, which appends new rows to existing data.

Once you click on this, you get the following window as shown below:

append_1.png

Select your new dataset file here as indicated by arrow in the above picture. This will append the new data to old existing dataset.

This should work. Let me know how you get along with this.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

I am assuming that your new excel spreadsheet with updates for every month/quarter will have similar structure to the data hat you have used for building your dashboard. If this is the case, you can append this new data to the existing data in Power BI Query Editor.

In Power BI, import this new excel file as a datasource. Go to Query Editor. Here you will see your old dataset and new dataset.

Click on your old dataset file in query editor and navigate to Append Queries option as shown below:

Append_PBI.png

You can either append new data in existing datasource which is used for visualisations or append as a new.

I will suggest the "Append Queries" option in your case, which appends new rows to existing data.

Once you click on this, you get the following window as shown below:

append_1.png

Select your new dataset file here as indicated by arrow in the above picture. This will append the new data to old existing dataset.

This should work. Let me know how you get along with this.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a doubt like what if we want to delete the new dataset file since we appended it already to our old file, it is of taking some extra space in the model now. I came across similiar situation, but I am unable to delete the new dataset since I got a pop up saying you can't delete it because it is being referenced by another query.

Is there any other alternative to delete the newly imported file after we appending it to our old file.

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pragati11 

Thank you for your help and I managed to add more data into the dashboard 🙂

Ashley

Hi @Anonymous ,

If the solution worked for you, can you please mark this as a solution for your question.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just use an Append Query or switch to using a Folder query.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.