Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

COMtrac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Adding a row count to a visual table

I was wondering whether there is an easy way to add a count to a column in a visual table in PowerBI Desktop.  The column in the table has text entries and basically I just want to show the total of the column entries at the bottom of the column in the table visual.  For example the screen shot I have attached is where I want to add the total number of entries in the offenece column and show this at the bottom of the offence columnCapture.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
PowerMic

So Sorry to revive an old post, but this was the first option on google, so I'm sure other poeple will land here.

If you add any column to the table, choose "Count Distinct" as the aggregate function, then rename the column to something short like ".".  I then format that specific column to have values/header the same colour as my background.  It's not perfect, but it works, and it doesn't really add too much to the visual.

PowerMic_0-1667570388308.png

kowan
Regular Visitor

Did you find any solution?Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ,
you got any solution for adding sr. no in table visual , I stuck with same probleam like i want to show total number of rows in the table visual but for some column i used aggregate function like sum ,

want to display total rows in the table visual likeppao.PNG
Regards ,
Pooja

Any suggetion ,

sunilanipakula
Regular Visitor

COUNTROWS(NATURALINNERJOIN(Table1,Table2))

sunilanipakula
Regular Visitor

sunilanipakula
Regular Visitor

alexjohn
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Alex for the link.  It contain some good information to healp introduce me to the difference between calculated columns and measures.  I am assuming what I need to do is somehow put a measure in a cell beneath my column that contains text and then come up with a a DAX expression that will simply count the number of cells in the column and give me a total number.  This is where I am a bit stuck on how to make this happen

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Simple drag any column at last and choose aggeregation is Count.

Look the image 

1.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems simple and elegant way to count it. 

Hi Baskar

I was trying to avoid having to add another calcuated column (such as the count column).  Ideally using your image I wantt o count to appear under the Workitam ID rather then having to add another column called Workitem ID Count.

I hope that make sense

Hi @COMtrac,

I was trying to avoid having to add another calcuated column (such as the count column).  Ideally using your image I wantt o count to appear under the Workitam ID rather then having to add another column called Workitem ID Count.

I don't think it is possible to do it within a Table visual in Power BI currently. You can submit your requirements on Power BI Ideas and vote it up to improve Power BI.Smiley Happy

Regards

Cheers

Thanks

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@COMtrac

Ya i got it.

here i have to sorry , because presnetly in power bi we can't get the total value or count without any measure in your table.

Sorry 😞

Thanks for the response anyway

Regards

Craig

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.