Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bdazzler

Adding a relationship changes the field type

Hi all,

Powerbi noob here.

I have a table (from excel data) called "query_data" and I've created a second table called "summarisedTable".

When they have no relationship between them, they look like this:

Power BI Desktop1.png

(note the symbol next to the userCount field, which I assume means that this is a numeric field)

However, when I define a relationship between them, the userCount field magically becomes non-numeric:

Power BI Desktop2.png

... which means that I can't use that field in the sankey visualisation that I'm trying to create.

Why isn't the field numeric anymore after I've created the relationship?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bdazzler,

Maybe the data type have been changed automatically. Please set the userCount as number type(highlighted in yellow background) and set it summarized by count/sum(box in blue line) as before. So you can use it as before.

1.PNG

Another way, please right click->Query Editor, and check if there is the changed type step in Query Editor, please remove it and click "Apply&Close", check it the data type is fine.

2.PNG

Please respond me if you have any other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bdazzler,

Maybe the data type have been changed automatically. Please set the userCount as number type(highlighted in yellow background) and set it summarized by count/sum(box in blue line) as before. So you can use it as before.

1.PNG

Another way, please right click->Query Editor, and check if there is the changed type step in Query Editor, please remove it and click "Apply&Close", check it the data type is fine.

2.PNG

Please respond me if you have any other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks Angelia - clicking on the column and changing the "Default Summarization" did the trick!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.