Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kouter
Advocate I
Advocate I

Adding a loading icon when filter/action is running

Hi there,

I have a report with a map, and when I select a filter the map takes some time to load.

Is it possible to add a icon/visual to say loading whenever an action is being run i.e. filter selection being applied, and then dissapears again when the action is completed in Power BI?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is possible to add a loading icon/visual to indicate that a filter or action is being run in Power BI. Here are the steps:

1. Add an image to your report that will serve as the loading icon. You can use any image that you like, but it should be a transparent PNG file with a size of 32x32 or 64x64 pixels.

2. Create a measure that will toggle the visibility of the loading icon based on the state of the filter or action. For example, you might use a measure that calculates the number of rows in the data table that are currently visible based on the filter selection. If the number of rows is greater than 0, the measure would return 0 (false) to hide the loading icon. If the number of rows is 0, the measure would return 1 (true) to show the loading icon.

3. Add a new visual to your report, such as a shape or card. Set the background color of the visual to be transparent, and set the value of the visual to be the measure that you created in step 2.

4. Add the loading icon image to the visual that you created in step 3. Set the visibility of the image to be based on the value of the measure, so that the image is only visible when the measure returns a value of 1.

5. Finally, position the visual containing the loading icon over the map visual, so that it covers the map when the icon is visible.

When a filter or action is applied that causes the map to take some time to load, the loading icon will be displayed to indicate that the action is being processed. Once the map has finished loading, the icon will disappear.

@MAwwad 

Thank you for you reply. Will be sure to give it a try and let you know.

Hi @kouter ,

Wanted to check if it worked for you? Because I am not able to detect when the visual is loading and the count of data measure still shows greater than 0 while it is loading.

@MAwwad Were you able to implement the solution that you provided?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi @Prateek97 , 

were you able to get it done? I am soon to start working on it but just wondering if you were able to do it and what was the approach you made in order to find the solution.

Hi @aldoberain ,

Unfortunately no. After browsing through various options, I came to the conclusion that it is not possible.

Let me know if it works out for you.

rajulshah
Super User
Super User

@kouter , AFAIK this is not possible in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.