Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a custom total column with condition

Hi,

i have created a matrix in power bi and in that matrix I am performing some calcuations. Now I want to have the total of those columns and want to perform calculations on that total column also..

So can you please suggest how can i acheive that

4 REPLIES 4
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Still not very clear for me, how the percentage column mentioned above is calculated to get?
Are you already getting the percentages for each category individually, and you want to get the percentages for all categories in total?

If we know exactly what you are trying to achieve, you might be able to get a solution faster.

As a general advise, please, provide:

1. Sample (dummy dataset) data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
  2. Expected output from sample data
  3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want the count of each record allocated to a category, then use COUNTROWS like this:

Total Count = COUNTROWS ( 'Table'[Column] )

Otherwise, if you want the SUM of the values, then use the following:

Total Sum = SUM ( 'Table'[Column] )

The above is a starting point, but as @jaideepnema has flagged, if you want more advanced assistance, you will need to provide a more detailed explanation.

All the best.

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

jaideepnema
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,
Not clear, can you share a sample pbix with sensitive data removed along with the expected output so that we can check your query ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ jaideepnema

Usinghal_0-1635745803344.png

Here as you can see I am calculating % for every row, now what I want is to calculate the total of each column and calculate the percentage for that total one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.