Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a Total Column to a Matrix Visual that only sums spcific columns

I have a table that has (simplified) the columns CustID, Action, Date

I then have a matrix visual that has Action as Columns, CustID AS Rows and Count(Action) as Values.

Now I need an extra column that sums only some of the Columns, not all like the Total. In Excel this is =SUMME(B11:K11), where K12 and K13 are the columns not to be summed.

Is this possible in PBI Matrix?

10 REPLIES 10
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please post the sample data (copiable format) and expected output to understand your scenario in detail. It will be helpful to provide an accurate solution.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I do that in copiable format?

@Anonymous I mean the sample data that can be copied. Not like screenshots or image format.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the simplified data structure:

This is the table:

DateCustIdAction
01.01.20181A
02.01.20181B
03.01.20181A
04.01.20181C
05.01.20182A
06.01.20182A
07.01.20182C
08.01.20182C
09.01.20182C
10.01.20182D

Expected outcome (I did this as a Matrix in PBI, but cannot see a way to add the Sum(A,B) column):

PIVOT Values are Count(Action)   
 Action    
CustIdABCDSum (A,B)

Hi DevOn99,

I'm afraid the matrix in your post couldn't be realized because the SUM(A,B) is not a value in Action column, as a workaround, you can drag measure sum(A,B) above the value field lile below:

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi DevOn99,

You you create measures using DAX formula like pattern below:

A = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Action]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[CustId]), Table1[Action] = "A"))

B = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Action]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[CustId]), Table1[Action] = "B"))

C = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Action]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[CustId]), Table1[Action] = "C"))

D = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Action]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[CustId]), Table1[Action] = "D"))

Sum(A, B) = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Action]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[CustId]), Table1[Action] = "A" || Table1[Action] = "B"))

This result is like this:

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

you made a table visual. I need a matrix visual that has Action in columns and Custid and Date (in real solution, there are more criteria like country, gender etc) in rows. rows are drillable.

So, if I have a matrix that filters on rows AND columns, I guess it is not possible to have extra colums for measures that only filter on row criteria, but is independant from column criteria. Or is there a solution?

My solution now is:

I added an extra column in Query Editor that is always 1. Then pivoted the column Action (using the always 1 column as value) and use the new columns (one for each distinct value in Action) in data section. Leave column section empty. Then I can add measures to the data section and they get also new columns.

Can you please elaborate your answer? I am facing the same issue now. Thanks.

Hi DevOn99,

Have you solved your issue currently? If you have, could you kindly mark my answer to finish this thread?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is, that the visual is a matrix and 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.