Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kipple123
Frequent Visitor

Adding Customer Order Number Column

I'm working with a table that has unique Customer ID's and Order IDs, but has one row per item in a given order.  I'm trying to add a calculated column to the table that will tell me whether the row belongs to their first order, second order, etc...  

Here's a simplified example table with the desired Order # column that I'm trying to add.

Order Number Example.JPG

I can't figure out how to add a count based on both a unique customer ID and for that customers unique OrderID.

I've been trying variations on this code, but whenever I add in customerID it either crashed Power BI or returns something else that's not what I need.

Order# = 
VAR CurrentDate = Sales[order_date]
RETURN COUNTROWS (
    FILTER(
           CALCULATETABLE (
                Sales, 
                ALLEXCEPT(Sales, Sales[customerId])
             ),
        Sales[order_date] < CurrentDate
          || ( Sales[order_date] = CurrentDate )
    )
)

Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kipple123
Frequent Visitor

I was able to solve this problem after I learned about the "earlier" function.  Here's the code that worked 

Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Sales,Sales[customerId]=EARLIER(Sales[customerId])),Sales[order_date],,ASC,Dense)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sunnie
Helper I
Helper I

Kipple123
Frequent Visitor

I was able to solve this problem after I learned about the "earlier" function.  Here's the code that worked 

Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Sales,Sales[customerId]=EARLIER(Sales[customerId])),Sales[order_date],,ASC,Dense)

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kipple123 ,

You can create Order # column like DAX below.

Order #= MID(Sales[OrderId],2,1)

If you need to count based on both a unique customerId and for that customers unique OrderId, create measure like DAX below.

Count = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sales[order_date]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Sales),Sales[customerId]=MAX(Sales[customerId])&&Sales[OrderId]=MAX(Sales[OrderId])))

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai 

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately the Order# calculation your provided won't work with the real data.  The real data the orderID is 8-16 character long string containing numbers and characters.  I just built the example table this way so it was easy to follow, sorry it was misleading.

The second DAX measure for the count is only returning blanks.  I believe it's because the orderID is a string not a number.  I'll try some variations on it though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.