Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tomo2709
Regular Visitor

Added new tab to excel core data and does not appear when refreshing

Hi

I am using power BI desktop and i have created a PowerBi report and associated data which is stored on SharePoint.  I have added a new tab to the spreadsheet data, but this does not show in the PowerBi field when i refresh Power Bi.

How do i refresh the report to take account of the new excel worksheet?

Many thanks

P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

first where to find the data:

Capture.PNG

you need to go to the steps list for your table, to the step that links to Excel - you should see new sheet listed there
the next step is by default named Navigation - that's where the script goes to a specific sheet

what you can do is instead of navigating to a single sheet is following:

1) filter only for the sheets you will need

2) remove all columns but the one named Data

3) expand the 'Data' column
that will merge the data from all the sheets

other option is to right click on the Table you miss and press add as a new query
it will create a copy of the M script as a new query but pointing to a new sheet
then you can append that table to your original table

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

you need to add the new **bleep** in the query editor, normally ir links to specific sheet as defined in the process
if you expect it to happen more often you could consider getting data out of all sheets in the file, this should be doable as long as new sheets would have exactly the same structure

Hi - thanks for responding - when i am in query editor do you mean add a data source - as the data source is still the same - all i have done is add a new worksheet  to the core excel data but that does not show in power BI - sorry i may be just not getting this but if you could go into a little more detail that would be fantastic.  many thanks  Paul 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

first where to find the data:

Capture.PNG

you need to go to the steps list for your table, to the step that links to Excel - you should see new sheet listed there
the next step is by default named Navigation - that's where the script goes to a specific sheet

what you can do is instead of navigating to a single sheet is following:

1) filter only for the sheets you will need

2) remove all columns but the one named Data

3) expand the 'Data' column
that will merge the data from all the sheets

other option is to right click on the Table you miss and press add as a new query
it will create a copy of the M script as a new query but pointing to a new sheet
then you can append that table to your original table

Thank you - passed the message onto my colleague and he says the advice put him in the right direction so thank you for your help and guidance.  P

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.