Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CourtneyLeah
Frequent Visitor

Add trendline to clustered column visual

Hi,

I have a cluster column chart that holds our performance score for each month. From what I've read online I should be able to add a trendline to this visual. However, this does not seem to be the case for me.

Can anybody tell me why, or know of any other way to get a linear trend line (and associated equation if possible) on my bar chart.

Cheers

1-03-2017 2-08-17 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @CourtneyLeah,

The x axis is month year (based off a date column), the y axis is the count of non-compliances. Hope this helps

The x-axis must be a numeric value for trend lines to work currently. The month year column seems in a data type of Text.Smiley Happy

If you're using drill down features, the trend line will only work at the top level if the top level is a numeric value, and if any level below that is not a numeric value it will stop working for that level and all below it.

In addition, please also make sure that the X-Axis Type under Format tab has been set to Continuous and not Categorical.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I was having the hardest time finding this simple solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

And why does Trendline not work in a categorical numeric X Axis?? 

It seems strange that only works in continuous type.

Thanks for your help

alaeddin14
Helper I
Helper I

Hi .. 

can you add more details about the axis variables 

The x axis is month year (based off a date column), the y axis is the count of non-compliances. Hope this helps

Hi @CourtneyLeah,

The x-axis must be a numeric value for trend lines to work currently. The month year column seems in a data type of Text.Smiley Happy

If you're using drill down features, the trend line will only work at the top level if the top level is a numeric value, and if any level below that is not a numeric value it will stop working for that level and all below it.

In addition, please also make sure that the X-Axis Type under Format tab has been set to Continuous and not Categorical.

Regards

If the x axis is formatted as date/datetime then you should be able to add a trendline. It seems strange if the option is not available for date x axis. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors