Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregor4711
Regular Visitor

Add same set of tables but with valid timestamp field

Hi all,

I have a imported set of tables combined to a data model and query / charting the data which I need.

So far so good, I’m really impressed with Power BI.

To make the solution more productive I plan to import the same set of Tables (which already in data model)  every week and query 7 charting  the changes over the time.

Since the original database (where the data came from) have no issue date, I need a capability to indicate when the record was valid.

This would provide a 2 detention time model for reports like “We improve the numbers of xxx over the time of xx weeks about 40%” etc.

My plan is to have I additional time stamp / Date field with each table,  when the record was imported into Power BI database.

So my 2 questions for this scenario are:

1. What is the best way to attaches new data in the same structure of Tables / data model each week into the database with a additional (not in imported data structure)  valid Date field?
  2. Is there a “PBI-system” field which I can query when the data are imported into PBI Database?

Just to let you know, I’m working only with PBI desktop

Cheerio

Gregor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

1. What is the best way to attaches new data in the same structure of Tables / data model each week into the database with a additional (not in imported data structure)  valid Date field?

You can add a  last refreshed column in Quert Editor, like:
    Last Refreshed  = DateTime.LocalNow() 
    It will change once your refresh your dataset. For more details, please refer to links below:
    last time refresh
    Display Last Refreshed Date in Power BI
  2. Is there a “PBI-system” field which I can query when the data are imported into PBI Database?

Once you open a .pbix file, it will generate a temp SSAS workspace. You can connect this database in SSMS. Please see: Connect to Power BI Desktop Model from Excel and SSMS. Then you can query the DMV for this temp SSAS database and see the LAST_DATA_UPDATE time.
    SELECT * FROM $System.MDSCHEMA_CUBES
    45.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

You can add a  last refreshed column in Quert Editor, like:
    Last Refreshed  = DateTime.LocalNow() 
    It will change once your refresh your dataset. For more details, please refer to links below:
    last time refresh
    Display Last Refreshed Date in Power BI

Once you open a .pbix file, it will generate a temp SSAS workspace. You can connect this database in SSMS. Please see: Connect to Power BI Desktop Model from Excel and SSMS. Then you can query the DMV for this temp SSAS database and see the LAST_DATA_UPDATE time.
    SELECT * FROM $System.MDSCHEMA_CUBES
    45.PNG

Regards,

thanks Simon,

work perfect:)

BR

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.