Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

freswood
Helper I
Helper I

Add help tooltips to reports

Hi there,

I've created a report that contains several graphs, and I'm hoping to add some sort of help/documentation to the report. Ideally I'd like a textbox to be displayed when the user hovers over/clicks a graph or help button. I know it's possible to add text boxes, however the documentation would be somewhat lengthy and I wouldn't want it to be permanently displayed on the report.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Miguel Myers (spelling?) has a hot tip for this in his webinar on building beautiful power bi reports...

basically he uses a donut chart overlaying a text box with a ? in it to create a little help widget. then he creates a table of help texts and adds it to the legend for that donut chart.  then he filters the column to only show the help he wants..

Capture.PNG

I use this technique and it works OK but its not perfect and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a better way to show dynamic help.

one other way I have been thinking about is to use a measure with "HASONEVALUE" which shows generic" about this dashboard" then switches to "help text" when a filter is selected

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
EmilianoCretu

This may help. I created a button and make it transparent (transparency 100%). In the "Action" pane I selected "Web URL" but I left the URL in blank. Below there is a "Tool Tip" panel that allows you to write any text.

So, whenever you hover the button it will shows that text.

ivana_tomekova
Frequent Visitor

Update from recent version of PBI:
There is already an option for Header Help tooltip for each single visual, which can be used as Text tooltip or as Tooltip page.
1. Select visual -> Format -> General
2. Under Header icons -> in Icons menu activate last icon: Help tooltip ON

ivana_tomekova_1-1672259659131.png

3. In newly available Help tooltip submenu, define details (Type either Test or Report page)

ivana_tomekova_2-1672259690218.png

When created, the '?' icon will appear in the visual header and when hovered over the questionmark, the tooltip is displayed:

ivana_tomekova_0-1672259570998.png

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@freswood

Currently, you must put a field into tooltip or legend box to have it appeared when hover on data point in visual. It's not supported to hard code some description text as tooltip. Please vote this idea.

Regards,

dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Miguel Myers (spelling?) has a hot tip for this in his webinar on building beautiful power bi reports...

basically he uses a donut chart overlaying a text box with a ? in it to create a little help widget. then he creates a table of help texts and adds it to the legend for that donut chart.  then he filters the column to only show the help he wants..

Capture.PNG

I use this technique and it works OK but its not perfect and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a better way to show dynamic help.

one other way I have been thinking about is to use a measure with "HASONEVALUE" which shows generic" about this dashboard" then switches to "help text" when a filter is selected

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte

Thanks @dearwatson a diffrent way could be to use this HTML custome Visual, then put some html code instead of the comment, somthing like: 
<a href="" title="tooltip text ..."><h1 style="color:white;">?</h1></a>

Hi@ymouman,

This worked as charm, however, when i click it the question mark or text will disapper.. is there any work around for this?

thanks in advance:)

sravan

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@freswood Have you tried the MAO software custom visual for dynamic tooltips?  It's excellent and does this perfectly well. Tom

Thanks @dearwatson that worked perfectly! It's a little clumsy to use so hopefully they add custom tooltips as a feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.