Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add custom column to Usage Metrics

I am using the Usage Metrics dataset for my workspace.  I want to enrich the dataset with a day of week column or measure.  I am looking for usage trends by day (ie. Monday vs Friday etc.).

I cannot seem to find a way to either add a custom column or create a measure in the Power BI usage dataset that I can use in my report.  Can someone suggest an approach.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I'm afraid the usage metric is automatically generated by power bi service based on the dataset. You can create an extra report/visual to reach your requirement.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft  Jimmy, thanks for your reply.  Yes, I am working within the restriction that the dataset is generated by the Power BI service.  I have connected to the dataset and created my own custom report - I need guidance on how to create a custom column and/or measure to enrich the data set and allow me to report by the day of the week.

@Anonymous ,

Could you share more details about your specific requirement and post some sample data?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft Jimmy, I would like to add a custom column or measure to the Power BI generated usage metrics dataset so that I can monitor usage by day of the week - Sunday, Monday, Tuesday etc.. How do I create this additional data with the date values available.  No sample data - all data is generated in the Power BI generated dataset.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft  Jimmy, please let me know if it is possible to "enrich" the Poerw BI metrics dataset with custom columns and/or related tables... or simply write a measure that mimics a custom column

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has this issue been resolved or does anybody have a solution? I have a use-case where I'd like to add a column to the user table indicating whether the person is a developer or a stakeholder. I have the data already in a local .xsls file but have not found any way to connect this to the report usage metrics in the Power Bi service. 

hi, i am trying to do the same. Were you able to achieve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.