Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

magnifybi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Add columns and tables to a Pushed LIVE Power BI Dataset (NetSuite Script)

Hi,

I have a LIVE PowerBI dataset that is being created by a push of data from a NetSuite script, I can connect to this dataset from powerBI desktop but can't add any tables or custom columns to the tables. The Transform Data is blank and I can't create relationships between the data tables.

How do I edit this dataset so I can add a calendar table and other custom columns and measures?

Info here regarding how I created the datset;
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/automation/walkthrough-push-data

Thanks,

Jon

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@magnifybi - Correct, you cannot do that today. However there is something on the Power BI roadmap that looks like you will be able to do it in the future.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave2/power-bi/direct-query-over-po...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Thansk for the quick response, how do you propose to get the data out of netsuite and into powerbi so I can edit it?

@magnifybi - Well, you would need to use Import mode or a composite model that uses DirectQuery mode. I'm not entirely clear on your current setup but if you go into the Service, can you download a PBIX that contains your dataset that you created using your script? You need to get ahold of that dataset as an import model in a PBIX file in order to edit it.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

I can download a PBIX file with the dataset linked, but this is a LIVE conenction to the dataset and won't let me edit.

I'm really stuck as to how I can push data into a dataset but still then use the power query editor.

Is there a way to convert a live dataset to an imported one?

Thanks

@magnifybi - I've never created a dataset using push so I can't really test anything. Just so I am clear. You are saying that when you go into the Service and download the PBIX that you get a PBIX that contains a Live connection back to the dataset in the Service, not that you are starting in Power BI Desktop and then connecting to the dataset in the Service, correct?

If that's the case, that's weird to me but that may be just the way it is. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.