Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alvarom1
Helper I
Helper I

Add column with folder name

Hi,

I am getting data from Sharepoint where I have excel files in different folders. 

I need to add a column to my date that shows the name of the folder where the file source is.

Example:

Folder "sharepoint/folder 1/: 

• File A
  • File B
  • File C

Folder "sharepoint/folder 2/:

• File A
  • File B
  • File C

What I need is, on the combined table that I get on Power BI, add a column, for each line, with the reference of folder and file of origin:

• 1/A
  • 1/B
  • 1/C
  • 2/A
  • 2/B

Can you help me?

Thanks 

Alvaro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

I assume you are opening the files via the Combine operation and your query steps look something like this, where the items in the red square were created by Power Query automatically by the Combine operation:

20191227 10_01_58-Query1 - Power Query Editor.png

Go to the "Removed Other Columns1" step, and click the little gear icon. Check the "Folder Path" box and hit OK.

Go to the end of your query steps and you'll have a new folder path column where those files are located. You can then use Text.Start, Text.Middle, Text.End, or whatever to create whatever text you want to combine with the folders.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
edhans
Super User
Super User

I assume you are opening the files via the Combine operation and your query steps look something like this, where the items in the red square were created by Power Query automatically by the Combine operation:

20191227 10_01_58-Query1 - Power Query Editor.png

Go to the "Removed Other Columns1" step, and click the little gear icon. Check the "Folder Path" box and hit OK.

Go to the end of your query steps and you'll have a new folder path column where those files are located. You can then use Text.Start, Text.Middle, Text.End, or whatever to create whatever text you want to combine with the folders.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks a Lot @edhans for the solution. 

Glad to help @AkshayManke 

That's it!

That is wath I need and I did not know

Thanks a lot

Alvaro

Great. That folder path column is available when you start, but the Combine operation automatically hides it and most other columns once it opens the actual files. I go back in and add them back for similar reasons all of the time. 👍

@Alvarom1 as @edhans you go to step where you connect to sharepoint folder and make sure you can see folder path column in there and then check if you removed this column in any of the following step, if yes, don't remove this column so that is is part of your table , similar for filename and after that you can use any  Text functions to concatenate  File Name and Folder Path

Hope this help. If something is not clear, provide more details with example what is missing or what need to be done.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks!

Alvaro

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Alvarom1 when you connect to sharepoint folder it has a column called  Folder Path and you can use that to concatenate with file name

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

HI thanks,

When I combined all the excel files with power bi I get a long list with all the lines from those excel. On that one, I do not have the path folder. What I need is , on that combined table, be able to add part of the text of the folder with each line(file) is coming from.

Makes sense?

Thanks

Alvaro

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.