Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

doctornick0
Frequent Visitor

Add column to convert source name to date

Hi, everybody,

When importing a folder of CSV files, I need to add a column to convert the file names (which are in my Source.Name column in Power Query) to dates, as the CSV files are snapshot files of the sales pipeline snapped as of that date.

I'm pulling the CSVs by month (each month represents 1 folder), so I know the given month and year, which I can apply to all records in the query, but the file name contains the day information.

The files are named in a format of either "Pace Report Data_050518.csv" or "Pace+Report+Data_012118.csv", in either case, all I care about is the 2 digits after the underscore.  The first file is the snapshot for January 05, 2018 and the 2nd is for January 01, 2018.  I'm not sure why Salesforce is pushing the files across with different file name formats, but the common item is always the underscore and the 2 digits following.

Given the above, is there a line of M code that I could use to create the new date column that will allow me to apply the above logic?

Thanks so much for your help,

-doctornick0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Yes: You add a custom column with this code:

Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "_"),2)

Replace "Column1" with the name of your column.

You can paste this code into the advanced editor and see how it works:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkhMTlUISi3ILypRcEksSYw3MDUwNbTQSy4uU4rVgchrQ+S1IfKGRoYw+VgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Day", each Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "_"),2))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Yes: You add a custom column with this code:

Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "_"),2)

Replace "Column1" with the name of your column.

You can paste this code into the advanced editor and see how it works:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkhMTlUISi3ILypRcEksSYw3MDUwNbTQSy4uU4rVgchrQ+S1IfKGRoYw+VgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Day", each Text.Start(Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1], "_"),2))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly!

Dear Imke,

Thanks so much!  Is there a way to accept your solution?  The "Accept Solution" button gives me an "Authentication Failed" error.  Or, alternatively, is there a forum support mechanism I can reference?

Thanks for your help!

- doctornick0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.