cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YasarKhan
Frequent Visitor

Re: Add an extra field from a data source

Hi All,

I have the same issue while I want to extract column from SSAS Analysis Cube.

What I did:

I connected SSAS Cube by Get Data..Then I select some specific fields based on my requirement from one of the package(A package consisit many fields).

Now, How can I add one extra field from the package???

Thanks,

YasarKhan
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I have connected SSAS Cubes to Power BI.

While preparing the report, I selected some of the required field from one of the SSAS Cube Package.

Now I want to add extra field from the same SSAS Cube package, How can I do that?

Thanks,

Sebastinstephen

Thanks a lot !! Your work around saved my time a lot !!!

LouisT
Regular Visitor

Glad it worked and saved time for you.  It should really be a lot easier than that in my opinion within Power BI.  Hopefully Microsoft will make the change in a future version.

shafalfa

To add to this. I had a SQL data source. Going into "Edit Queries" and refreshing made the column appear in the preview. However after clicking "Close & Apply" and viewing the fields in the dataset in the right hand panel, the new column still wasn't appearing. I'm not sure if this had something to do with the fact that I had already added some calculated fields.

My solution was to go back into "Edit Queries" and simply move the column from the end to another position in the table. This created a "Reordered Columns" step. After closing and applying now, the new field appeared in the right hand panel. Hope this helps someone.

shafalfa

To add to this thread, I have a sql data source and was having the same issue. I could go into "Edit Query" and refresh the data and the new column would appear in the preview. However when I clicked "Close & Apply" the list of fields in the panel on the right hand side for that data set would not change. It was very frustrating. I didn't want to delete and add the data source because I had already created a bunch of calculated fields that I didn't want to have to do all over again. I'm not sure whether the existence of these extra fields was what was causing the problem.

I decided to try and change the data source in some way to see if that helped. I went back into "Edit Query" and moved the new column into another position. This created a "Reordered Column" step on the query. When I clickec "Close & Apply" this time, the new column appeared in the fields list on the right hand panel. So that was my work around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case someone else finds help from this:

I have a API that has simple JSON data in one level. The new column wouldn't show for me with refresh. The solution to my problem was to edit the "Expanded Column1". The new column was not selected there, and I just selected the new column and it was ready to use. 

However, if anyone has an idea how to update more automatically (like just with clicking "Refresh Preview") I would be happy to try it out.

jcbrogan
Frequent Visitor

Agree with others.  MS needs to make an automatic check for new columns of data and ask you what you want to do with them.  Tableau pulls them in automatically and they are just there in case you want to use them.

KelvinMorel Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I know this post is marked as Solved, I just want to add my experiance on this issue.

When you add a column to the data source file, on Power BI or Power Query into 'Query Editor' you should Refresh All but after that nothing will change because your column selection refers to the first source file you loaded and is being used as 'Sample File'.

A new 'Sample File' will be created under 'Transform File from Data' (on the left Queries [#] column).

To solve this issue just choose the right 'Sample File' in the 'Manage Parameters' menu

SNAG-0192.jpg

bon_lenard
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue here. Unfortunately, nothing discussed here worked for me. My data source is a folder filled with CSV files. I added a new column which I need for another visual. How can I see the new one after refreshing the source?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors