Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add an extra field from a data source

A power bi newbie here. 

Say if I import a table A from a data source into power bi, some minor changes to the imported dataset. calculated columns, measures etc.

Now I add a new field in the table A, how do I include the new field into the data set in power bi (without re-creating a new one)?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

If I didn't misunderstood you, when you refresh in power bi desktop your new added column will automatically be imported.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

I had the same issue - with Excel tables I couldn't perform the steps mentioned here as they apply only to CSV files.

I found a workaround for Excel files/tables that seems to work for me, so thought I'd share it.

I found that I had to save a copy of the existing file e.g. save as Filename_1 or similar, then go data source settings, change data source and select the new file. The new columns then appear.

You could then go back and save as the original file name, and change data source back to that again to retain the existing file.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Sorry, Pand.   the solution I described was the only one i was able to figure out.  Let me know if you find another way.

@elsalvador182 Thank you for that. I actually couldn't do exactly what you said because my csv file is updated from Sharepoint but the premise helped. When I inserted the step to import CSV, it inserted the whole document with the last column which had fallen off due to the new column being added. Then I could delete the old "import CSV step" and my steps all worked from there on to the end.

It was driving me crazy so thank you for taking the time to add your solution to help someone who needed it...ME!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

If I didn't misunderstood you, when you refresh in power bi desktop your new added column will automatically be imported.

Hi,

I expected the functionality to work as you explained, but it doesn't for me.

I am using a local file. It is an Excel spreadsheet with a table. The table has 4 columns. If I add a fifth column with data, I would expect the field to show up in Power BI after a refresh. I click refresh for the datasource and it refreshes successfully. Then, I go to report and the new field does not show up. The only way to get the new field is to delete the old datasource and add a new one.

Thoughts?

I have the same problem: If I add a column to my original data source in Excel and refresh in Power BI, my new column doesn't show up. Is it possible to get the new column or is the only way to start from scratch? (I'd rather not since I've build relationships to other sources, added calculated columns, etc.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.