cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DataGuy2016 Advocate II
Advocate II

Re: Add an extra field from a data source

Beware - you will need a PRO license for every user who wants to view your data.

dan_hoff Helper I
Helper I

mine are all CSV and the above two methods work 100% fine;  if you cannot follow the steps, do you want me to do pics one by one.... that will cost me a bit of time, but I dont want you to be flummoxed;  for CSV it works a charm

DavidB
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for this, @reneincer
I am new to Power BI, and it was driving me crazy that I had to make things all over again if I wanted to add data to my data source.

SNV Helper I
Helper I

I also have the same problem as the topic starter.

Both the proposed solutions work for me, changing the column amount in the advanced editor and switching the source to automatic.

But is there a possibility to make the number of the amount of columns in the advanced editor a variable?

So before the data is imported, the columns are counted in the source, stored as a variable and then with the import source step the variable is put after the columns

Ex.  [Delimiter=";", Columns=X, Encoding=1252, Quotestyle=Quotestyle.None]),

Where X is the counted variable.

Maybe this could automate the 2 solutions, if it is possible

Pandreoni
Frequent Visitor

Same issue. How do show the new column which I just created in the data source (Excel table, new column added but not shown in Power Bi desktop data field)? somehow I cant do those steps suggested above. thanks 

LouisT
Regular Visitor

Sorry, Pand.   the solution I described was the only one i was able to figure out.  Let me know if you find another way.

Rodion
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, this is by for the most simple solution. It also helps me to understand how to work with M query and the advanced editor, which is a big plus I you're new to this.

LouisT
Regular Visitor

Rodion, Glad it worked for you too!  🙂

Benegade
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue - with Excel tables I couldn't perform the steps mentioned here as they apply only to CSV files.

I found a workaround for Excel files/tables that seems to work for me, so thought I'd share it.

I found that I had to save a copy of the existing file e.g. save as Filename_1 or similar, then go data source settings, change data source and select the new file. The new columns then appear.

You could then go back and save as the original file name, and change data source back to that again to retain the existing file.

Hope that helps.

Ben

AlexanderZ
Regular Visitor

I have data in a flat azure table with 80 columns. When I getting this data to power bi it analyze only 1000 first rows and automatically creates fields. The problem is that first 1000 columns contain just 25 collumns and bi automaticaly creates not full structure. How I can manualy set data scheme and specify all fields manually?

Thx!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors