Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SaurabhGupta
Frequent Visitor

Add a same value across selected time period

Hi,

I have a per day project cost for different organization. This project has a start date and an end date. I found out how to visualize the per- day project cost across its course of time (i.e. from start date to end date) by creating a measure:

Amount = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Per Day Cost]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Contract start date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date]) && 'Table1'[Contract end date]>=MAX('Calendar'[Date])))

But I am unable to add its cost over its course.

For example:

If project has per-day cost 5000 from 1/1/2016 to 12/30/2016, it shows a constant line of $5000 between those dates.

In the figure below

image.png

Now, I want to calculate a cumulative cost incurred by a project in a time period selected by me from the calendar. For example:

The project A will have a total cost of 5000*30=150,000 from 1/1/2016 to 1/30/2016. Is there any way that I can do that in power BI? Is there a possibility that we can create a sum measure over an existing measure?

I have attached the .pbix file for your reference:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WTPYJCLYDjJcoaf8dr8q4gPAk1X5H22w?ogsrc=32

6 REPLIES 6
SaurabhGupta
Frequent Visitor

Could anyone please help me in solving this problem?

@SaurabhGupta,

Please check if the DAX in attached PBIX file return your expected result.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes you can do that. Did you try using the Running Total Quick Measure?

Also, check out my Time Intelligence The Hard Way Quick Measure here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Basically, you just need to create a temp table that FILTER's your table to all rows with a date less than the current context and then do a SUMX on it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the new quick measure but it still does not add up the values over the range of selected dates/months/years.

@SaurabhGupta,

Could you please re-share the PBIX file? I don't have access to the link you post.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.