Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincetaylor
Helper I
Helper I

Add a new table to dataset

I am using a series of SharePoint lists that exist on a SharePoint site. as my data source. I previously used "Get Data" to add the lists as table to my dataset. A new SharePoint list has been added to the site. How do I add this new list as a table to my dataset?

I am using PowerBI desktop. I would appreciate any help especially specific steps. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vincetaylor 

In Power Query the List 4 should be embeded in the navigation step. Click on the source step you will see 

aj1973_0-1640977777452.png

Try to find there and add it to the queries
Before adding the List 4 copy/paste one of the Lists in the queries and then click on the Table to get it added to the Queries, Rename the new added Table

aj1973_0-1640979434488.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@vincetaylor can you post the Power Query steps or code that was used initially?  This is the code which will need to be adjusted to include your new list.  It can be accessed from the "Transform data" button on the ribbon.

ebeery_0-1640825592653.png

Hi @ebeery  Thanks for your help.

Are you referring to the Applied steps? There are only 3 in my list

applied steps.JPG

I initially used the "Get Data" command to get the data from SharePoint.

@vincetaylor yes, I'm thinking specifically the "Navigation" step is what would need altered to include your new list.  

By clicking the "gear" icon next to that step you can edit it.

ebeery_0-1640914777839.png

Thanks again @ebeery 

How do I edit?
There is no edit button or such. I tried double clicking and right clicking on the table I want to addnavi.png

@vincetaylor what does the M code for the step look like?  You can find it in the formula bar or by clicking "Advanced Editor".

ebeery_0-1640969183750.png

HI @ebeery 

This is the code with some data obscured or changed

Hi @vincetaylor 

What happenes when you refresh your Power Query? the List 4 should be imported and added to the query as Table 4 automatically.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @aj1973 
Refresh only refreshes existing tables. It does not import new lists. This is because when you use "get data", the system asks you to select which lists you want to import. From that point on, it only refreshes the data you selected initially. It never adds new tables. 

@vincetaylor 

In Power Query the List 4 should be embeded in the navigation step. Click on the source step you will see 

aj1973_0-1640977777452.png

Try to find there and add it to the queries
Before adding the List 4 copy/paste one of the Lists in the queries and then click on the Table to get it added to the Queries, Rename the new added Table

aj1973_0-1640979434488.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@vincetaylor ok after looking at your code and re-reading your original description I am now very unclear about what you are trying to accomplish.

What is the output of this query?  A single table?  Or multiple tables?  The SharePoint.Tables function being used seems that it would only return a single table of all the items from a single list.  Are you looking for the items in a list, or a list of lists?

Please be as descriptive as possible about what you're trying to achieve.

HI @ebeery 

I initially used Get Data to get data from SharePoint Lists that exist in a SharePoint site. I imported the 3 lists that existed at the time. 

1. List-1
2. List-2
3. List-3.

After using Get Data, these lists were imported into PowerBI as 3 seperate tables. 

1. Table-1
2. Table-2

3. Table-3.

Now a 4th List has been added to SharePoint.

4. List-4

I would like to import this 4th list into the Dataset as the fourth Table without changing the existing tables

4. Table-4

I can't use Get Data again because it will import all the lists again. I just want to add List-4 to my Dataset

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.