Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thePowerBIGuy
Frequent Visitor

Add a new column based on exiting column with disconnected tables

Can some one in the scenario mentioned below? I am mentioning a sample dataset, there are two tables where relationship doesn't exist and not even going to exist in the actual model. As per the requirement, if the user would select Primary from the slicer(Table 2 -- Column Name: Selector), on the Summary Table Column: PrimaryMarket should be displayed or if the User would select Secondary from slicer, the Summary table should show Column:SecondaryMarket along woth other columns.

As per my understanding, we would have to create a Caultaed field in Table1 which will be used in the Sumarry table. However while cretae a Calculated field, it is not working and only giving me false result.

DataModel.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@thePowerBIGuy,

You may select Unpivot Columns in the Query Editor.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The original dataset is as such that it can't be un-pivoted. Any other work around?

Hi @thePowerBIGuy

What do you mean by "The original dataset is as such that it can't be un-pivoted"?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

@danextian: We cant make changes in the structure of the master dataset in the original Model(based on that I have created a sample one mentioned in the problem statement)

@thePowerBIGuy,

How about just referencing the query and unpivot it instead of the original one?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

@thePowerBIGuy,

As far as I know, there is no more elegant way.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.