Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add a column from other datasets into my appended dataset

So I had two datasets for two halves of the year (both SharePoint Lists) that I modified separately, then appended into one dataset. 

Once the dataset was appended, I have made further modifications to it including new columns and measures. I am not in a position to re-append the datasets and start all over again.

I deleted a column that I thought was not needed from both datasets before I appended.

I then figured I might need that column. So I have recovered it from the separate datasets. I now don't know how or even if, I can pull this data into my appended dataset. 

Any ideas???

Jemma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

When you delete the column from one dataset before appending, don't worry about it, as tested, i just go to the dataset in Queries editor, click on "remove columns" on the right APPLIED STEPS, this means to recover the removed column to the dataset, then go to the appended table, the column removed before appending will come in the dataset.

4.png

7.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Joorge_C
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi Jemma, In power query, if you take out the removing step in which you deleted the column in both of your tables, once you final append happens you should see this column in your final dataset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joorge,

The append has already happened. And I don't want to re-append, because i've applied many steps since. 

So I just want the new columns to be somehow added as a new column in my appended dataset. I assume if I can do this, I would have to add a new column that pulls the data in from the other two datasets based on a unique ID. But I don't know where to begin....

Hi @Anonymous

When you delete the column from one dataset before appending, don't worry about it, as tested, i just go to the dataset in Queries editor, click on "remove columns" on the right APPLIED STEPS, this means to recover the removed column to the dataset, then go to the appended table, the column removed before appending will come in the dataset.

4.png

7.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.