Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimmK
Helper IV
Helper IV

Add Manual Data to Report

Hello,

I created a report with a matrix table for the purchasing department that shows how long the stock will last for a specific article. For each article there are several possible suppliers which are also included. As the data source I use our company DB.

How can I enable my colleagues from the purchasing department to add manual data to the report so they can make annotations like 'Approved by the head of production'? Previously they could easily do that in Excel, but how can they also do that in Power BI? What is the best solution for this?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@TimmK Well, there is commenting in the Service for reports. Outside of that not many options for things like that, maybe PowerApps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Thanks, yet I need to add a column to the table that allows the user to manually add information to each row in the report view. How do you personally deal with this issue? Do you only generate reports to look at, but not add additional information to it? I will have a look at if there is a PowerApp for this.

One alternative I see is creating an Excel sheet to add the additional information and then integrate it at the Power BI report as multiple data sources can be used. However, this would be inconvenient. Another alternative would be only to use Excel instead of Power BI for reports that need data to be added.

I wonder how professionals are handling this issue. Is Power BI really just for creating pure reports to only look at?

@amitchandak "My advice is to load using an excel in the data model." So you mean to use the Excel as data entry and then load it to Power BI to combine it with data from the DB?

@TimmK - Yes, Power Bi is really about creating reports, not data entry.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Ok, so what do you personally do when you need to combine the report with manual data or is this never an issue for you?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TimmK , You have enter the data option on the home tab to do it. The only challenge if you can not update it.

My advice is to load using an excel in the data model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.