Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Recoba88
Helper III
Helper III

Add Custom column in Power Query (Excel)

Hi,

2 question:

1. When I add custom column in loaded data to excel worksheet I don't see this column in power query, why?

2. Where I should add custom columns to loaded data or power query editor? what is the difference ? (calculation time and etc.)

Thanks !!

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Recoba88,

Your desciption is confusing, besides the solution @DoubleJ posted, could you please share more details and describe clearly for further analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Where did you add the column? If you did inside Power Query then you should see it there. If you added it in Power Pivot then it is "too late".  

Power Query is used to load the data from a source into the Power Pivot model inside Excel. 

It really depends what you want to do with the data in that column. If you want to do further transformations you should do it in PQ. Generally, it's much easier to do it there. In case you need it to do more complex calculations PowerPivot probably is the better place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.