Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tgjones43
Helper IV
Helper IV

Add Column query

Hi all

I have the following two columns and would like to create the third column, in the Query Editor. Each value in Column A occupies 1 or more rows. The values in Column B are random 8 digit numbers which are not necessarily in ascending numerical order (e.g. the value for row 2 is smaller than the value for row 1, however, where a value in Column A occupies more than one row (e.g. value 3), the corresponding values in column B are in ascending numerical order.

I assume there is probably a fairly simple solution to this, without using Column B. Thank you! 

Column AColumn BRequired Column
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tgjones43 ,

We can insert index by catgoary by this way. Please refer to the M code as below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc3LDcAwCAPQXXzOgU8ozSwo+6/RppWgqnJDTzaOAKNB2J3UjvtkzBaQRDkTtdA22BfKH9dPfbDXUNU/6Fm3GhqZLFTaJAe9Q/MC", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Column A" = _t, #"Column B" = _t, #"Required Column" = _t]),
    Partition = Table.Group(Source, {"Column A"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Index"}, {"Partition.Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Partition"

Capture.PNG

Please find the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tgjones43 ,

We can insert index by catgoary by this way. Please refer to the M code as below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc3LDcAwCAPQXXzOgU8ozSwo+6/RppWgqnJDTzaOAKNB2J3UjvtkzBaQRDkTtdA22BfKH9dPfbDXUNU/6Fm3GhqZLFTaJAe9Q/MC", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Column A" = _t, #"Column B" = _t, #"Required Column" = _t]),
    Partition = Table.Group(Source, {"Column A"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Index"}, {"Partition.Index"})
in
    #"Expanded Partition"

Capture.PNG

Please find the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-frfei-msft, that helps a lot.

I wonder if you would be able to propose a solution to a slightly more complex indexing query.

I have the following 2 columns and require the third. Each value in column A occupies several rows due to having several different values in column B. I want the required column to basically count each occurence of the word 'Purpose' in column B in order for each value of column A. And the final step of the M code needs to bring back all rows and columns (my dataset is much bigger than the example I am presenting). Is this possible?

Thank you!

Column AColumn BRequired Column
1Altitude 
1Slope 
1Purpose1
2Altitude 
2Slope 
2Purpose1
2Purpose2
3Altitude 
3Slope 
3Purpose1
3Purpose2
3Purpose3

It might help that in my dataset there is a third column (Column C) that provides an 8 digit number for all occurences of the word 'Purpose' in Column B:

Column AColumn BColumn CRequired Column
1Altitudenullnull
1Slopenullnull
1Purpose217703561
2Altitudenullnull
2Slopenullnull
2Purpose217703251
2Purpose217703452
3Altitudenullnull
3Slopenullnull
3Purpose217703291
3Purpose217703302
3Purpose217703903

Hi @tgjones43 ,

Please check the following steps as below.

1. Merge column A and column B in Table 1.

2. Duplicate table1 and add index in the duplicated table. (Table (2)).

3.Merge the two tables to get the result as we need, in the merged table, we should do some operations to get the result as we need. Please check the M code for the three tables.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXLMKcksKU1JBTIVlGJ1IILBOfkFqCIBpUUF+cUgMUOwmBE2rUYYWo1waEWIGYHFjLEZZ4xhnDEW44xxGIcQM1aKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Column A" = _t, #"Column B" = _t, #"Required Column" = _t]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Required Column"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Column A", "Column B"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged")
in
    #"Merged Columns"
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXLMKcksKU1JBTIVlGJ1IILBOfkFqCIBpUUF+cUgMUOwmBE2rUYYWo1waEWIGYHFjLEZZ4xhnDEW44xxGIcQM1aKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Column A" = _t, #"Column B" = _t, #"Required Column" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column A", Int64.Type}, {"Column B", type text}, {"Required Column", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Column B] = "Purpose")),
Partition = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"Column A"}, {{"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Partition, "Partition", {"Column B", "Index"}, {"Partition.Column B", "Partition.Index"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Partition", {{"Column A", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Column A", "Partition.Column B"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged")
in
    #"Merged Columns"
let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table1,{"Merged"},#"Table1 (2)",{"Merged"},"Table1 (2)",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table1 (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table1 (2)", {"Partition.Index"}, {"Table1 (2).Partition.Index"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table1 (2)", {{"Table1 (2).Partition.Index", type text}}, "en-US"),{"Table1 (2).Partition.Index", "Merged"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged.1"),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Merged Columns"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Merged.1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Merged.1.1", "Merged.1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Merged.1.1", Int64.Type}, {"Merged.1.2", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Merged.1.2", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 1}, false), {"Merged.1.2.1", "Merged.1.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Merged.1.2.1", Int64.Type}, {"Merged.1.2.2", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Merged.1.1", "Required Column"}, {"Merged.1.2.1", "Column A"}, {"Merged.1.2.2", "Column B"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Capture.PNG

For more details, please check the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

Hi @tgjones43 ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Thank you so much @v-frfei-msft, that is a great solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello @tgjones43 

what is your third column "Required column " for. is it a calculated or data column.

Hi @Anonymous just a data column. I am going to merge it with another column that contains the word 'Survey', so that the column will say Survey 1, Survey 2, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tgjones43 

so you want column b to be compleatly random? how did you enter in data initialy? 

Basicaly what is happening is the data is asociation the column B values with the repeated numbers, you need something to distinguish the repeated numbers in column A i would try creating an index column see if that does anything . 

best regards,

Collin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors