Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KassemEl
Frequent Visitor

Add All Columns Except One

I have an updating database and I need a new column that displays the sum of the existing tables as well as the new columns that appear. 

As an example

Currently 

1 | 2 | Name                                                   

2 | 3 | Other Task

4 | 5 | Other Other Tasks

Its going to become 

1 | 2 | 3 | Name

2 | 3 | 4 | Other Task

4 | 5 | 6 |Other Other task

I want this to be an automated formula that sums every table except the text column.  

Either in DAX or in M.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Since new columns will be added all the time, you don't have a true table, but a Pivoted data set.  Start by UnPiviotOtherColumns.  This will take ALL Other Columns but the one(s) specified and convert them into 'Attribute' (Column Name) and 'Value' (Number Value previously in each column).

Once done, you can create a simple Table of 'Name' and SUM 'Value' to sum ALL columns other than Name even if the raw input changes.  *** I couldn't get this working testing with .csv files, but I think that was because of 'type' of the new columns wasn't being defined.  I hope with your real data source you might have better luck... ***

= Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {" Name"}, "Attribute", "Value")

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Just SUM the second column + 1. In Power query you can add a custom column like [column2 name] + 1 or search in the menu the button to add values to a column. In DAX you can write Table[Column2 Name] + 1

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hey thanks for the prompt reply, The column values were just examples, the numbers are more complex than the example. The problem I am having is the number of extra columns is not specified because the client is inputting values into our CRM. 

Ok, but we can't help if we don't see an example to suggest a function or measure. Can you add a sample of the data so we can understand the logic involved?

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

1001 - Project 699 | 1000 - LOH - P2 | Name

470                           11220                   Anchors

1794                         10201                   Levelling

1794                         10201                    Basesq

1427                         4444                    GratePlatforms

736                           2255                     Modules

367                           1161                      Pinwheels

1136                         990                       Exteriorpanel

84                             110                       Crashbarrier

8                              4                            Aircraftcable

4                               0                          MP

31                             0                         Atticcharge

9                                0                       Workstation

The first N columns (1001,1000, so on) are project task totals that are required per every job (name) 

I need to display the sum of all jobs.  Or keep a blank table until they select that specific job which is tough because I cannot make column names part of a slicer (Making a bullet chart. Task completed data is in another table.) 

Hope that makes sense. 

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Since new columns will be added all the time, you don't have a true table, but a Pivoted data set.  Start by UnPiviotOtherColumns.  This will take ALL Other Columns but the one(s) specified and convert them into 'Attribute' (Column Name) and 'Value' (Number Value previously in each column).

Once done, you can create a simple Table of 'Name' and SUM 'Value' to sum ALL columns other than Name even if the raw input changes.  *** I couldn't get this working testing with .csv files, but I think that was because of 'type' of the new columns wasn't being defined.  I hope with your real data source you might have better luck... ***

= Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {" Name"}, "Attribute", "Value")

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Thanks, That seems to have worked 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.