Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Active relationship based on Slicer

Hello All,

I have a slicer which has 4 rows these as follows:

Slicer:

1) This  month

2)Last Year

3) This year

4) Prev month

and in another table I have  columns like this 

Country, State, This  month, Last Year, This year, Prev month

So i have modeled the data like 

(first table   )This  month--> This  month (Second Table)

and Last Year -->Last Year  and 

This year -->This year  and 

Prev month--> Prev month

Since a table can have only one active relationship This month--> This month is active.

Can I make Active relation based on the slicer 

For Example: If I select "Prior Year" all data must be filtered to prior year ...etc 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous you need to unpivot table b and then set the relationship between both the table, after that it will work as expected.

To unpivot, select all column table b excep (those four columns) and right click after selection and clicking unpivot other column, it will give you two column attribute and value (change column name as per your need)

Now set relationship between table 2 with table 1 on attribute and selection.

Now if you filter from selection, you table2 will show respective values.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous unfortunaltey you cannot change active relationship on selection but in your dax measure you can use userrelationship function to make other function active based on selection.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table 1

Id

Selection

This month

This year

Prev MOnth

Last Year

Table 2

State

Country

Id

This month

This Year

Prev Month

Last Year

Customer

DOB

I modeled 2 tables  as follows:

Table 1 "Selection colum " -->  This month

"Selection colum " -->  This year (Active relation ship)

"Selection colum " -->  Prev month (Non-Active relation ship)

"Selection colum " -->  Last year ( non- Active relation ship)

Since a table has only 1 active relation, "Selection column " -->  This month is  active

now in report, I am using Table 1 "Selection" as a slicer,

and it will display as  

This month

This year

Prev Month

Last Year

If I select  "this month" in table 1 it should map to "this month"  column in table 2 and data must be filtered 

if I select "This year " in table 1 it should map to "This year " column in table 2 and data must be filtered 

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Aditya

@Anonymous you need to unpivot table b and then set the relationship between both the table, after that it will work as expected.

To unpivot, select all column table b excep (those four columns) and right click after selection and clicking unpivot other column, it will give you two column attribute and value (change column name as per your need)

Now set relationship between table 2 with table 1 on attribute and selection.

Now if you filter from selection, you table2 will show respective values.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My data is very huge, Cannot unpivot, is there any other way.?

@Anonymous i think yes it can be done with other method, I have to make a solution, hard to explain if you can share sample data in excel thru one drive/google drive, i will try to get back to you. cheers!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I create user relationship  like a custom column instead of measure, because If I use to measure  data is changing  as My selection criteria by remaining slicers' data is not getting  filtered .

Any Alternate approach to a situation like this?

@Anonymous userrelationship can be only used in measure. I exactly not sure whst you are trying to achieve, if you share sample data and what result you are looking for, it will help to see if there is alternate solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.