Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Active connection in tables, Slicers for different parameters

Hi guys and Happy New Year!

I have a question about adjusting connections in tables to be able to use two slicer types: one to filter by date and the second one to filter by Sensor. I will attach a picture with the illustration. I got stuck with making connections active for different tables, particularly "TIMESTAMP" works just fine, but "Sensor_ID" active connection works only for the first table -"Sensor_2_1". For other "Sensor" tables connection between table with sensor list and sensors, tables are not active. What am I doing wrong here? I would appreciate any hints. Thank you in advance!
Inkedquestion_2_LI.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sensor_2_1 and Sensor_2_2 have both-direction relationship with Timestap_Hours which means Sensor_2_1 have both-direction relationship with Sensor_2_2. Once you create an active relationship between Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_1, Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_2 will also be connected through this relationship, which means there is already an active relationship between Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_2 and you can't create another one. It's not complicated, but it can be a little confusing. I hope you could understand my explanation.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sensor_2_1 and Sensor_2_2 have both-direction relationship with Timestap_Hours which means Sensor_2_1 have both-direction relationship with Sensor_2_2. Once you create an active relationship between Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_1, Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_2 will also be connected through this relationship, which means there is already an active relationship between Sensor_id_list and Sensor_2_2 and you can't create another one. It's not complicated, but it can be a little confusing. I hope you could understand my explanation.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jayw-msft,

thank you for your reply, you are right bi-directional relationships, they should be managed more accurate. That solution works for me, I will attach a picture. Thank you very much for a detailed answer 🙂 

solution.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You have created a few bi-directional joins.  You need make sure between two tables there is only one path. Are these bi-directional join creating two paths?

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods/ba-p...
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Anonymous
Not applicable

amitchandak thank you for your reply. You're right about bi-directional joins between columns. They should be only one direction, like this: 
solution.pngsolution.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors