Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MrFahrenheit
Helper I
Helper I

Active Directory and Scheduled Refresh on PBI Service

I have created a report using the Active Directory as the data source in PBI Desktop, and published it to the Power BI service. When I go to the "Schedule Refresh" page, the option to schedule a refresh is greyed-out. 

Does this mean we cannot refresh the Active Directory dataset? Or does it refresh automatically with no need for scheduling?

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MrFahrenheit , In Dataset setting open and check Datasource Source credential, check does it require any details

When I check the settings, Data Source credentials is greyed-out (cannot access). 

MrFahrenheit_0-1639591698267.png

Hi @MrFahrenheit ,

According to this official documentation, the gateway is required for the data source ActiveDirectory. Did you install and configure the gateway? If no, you can refer the following documentations to get it.

On-premises data gateway

The Power BI Gateway; All You Need to Know

yingyinr_0-1639989880710.png

In addition, the following blog explains in detail how to configure scheduled refreshe for ActiveDirectory data sources in Power BI Service. You can follow the steps to set up scheduled refresh.

Power BI Data Gateway with Active Directory

Add data source to the gatewayAdd data source to the gateway

Set up Gateway Connection to The DatasetSet up Gateway Connection to The Dataset

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Does this mean that I need to be on my company's network in order for the refresh to push through? 
I'm working at home currently and using a VPN to connect to our company network, I noticed that whenever I disconnected to the VPN the on-demand or scheduled refresh fails. 

When I connect to our AD it doesn't appear to be local - It appears to be in the cloud (the Domain is something like "divisionname.location.corporation.companyname.com") but I am not sure because I do not have any involvement with the AD (I don't know very much about how it works). Do you have to install a PBI Gate Way no matter what?

Hi @MrFahrenheit ,

How did you connect to AD in Power BI Desktop? Could you please provide the data source setting info just as below screenshot? If the data source located in cloud side and your report do not contain other on-premises data sources, there is no need to install the gateway and configure scheduled refresh, it will be refreshed automatically.

PS: Only if the data source is located on-premises, you need a gateway. For online or cloud-based data sources, no gateway is required.

yingyinr_0-1640165853614.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My connection looks like this:

MrFahrenheit_0-1640174218503.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.