Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Activate slicer selection based on dax or user permissions

Hi Power BI Community,

I'm developing a report that uses Site Name as the primary slicer for multiple pages. I have set up permissions with userprincipalID(e-mail address with app.powerbi.com) to only show data for that user's single site. The report is based on a site table with Site ID and Site Name and linked to a table containing Site Name and userprincipleID using bidirectional row-level security. The Site slicer is currently set to a single selection radio button control. 

I'm trying to find a way to use a dax formula to select site slicer items based on userprincipleID.

Use cases:

1. Manager A who manages New York should not see Oregon.

2. Manager B who manages Oregon should not see New York.

3. Region Manager C who manages Maine and New York should not see Oregon (Sites are not grouped; single site selection is best; selection of Maine OR New York will be acceptable)

When I publish the slicer, it always has a single selected Site ID. I have the permissions working; Person A can only see New York and Person B can only see Oregon. But If I publish with New York selected, PersonB sees New York selected (with Oregon as an option) in the slicer and "(Blank)" in most of the visuals. Once PersonB switches to Oregon in the slicer, the visuals show data and New York disappears from the slicer.

1: Is there a way to force a slicer to automatically select only the Site Name that the userprincipalID has permissions to?
2: What about region managers who have access to multiple sites? Is there a way to use a First/Max/Min dax formula to only select a single site that they have access to? (Activating multiple sites is not ideal for regional managers, and especially not for analysts with access to all sites.)

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have tested on my side, and find that:

If your slicer is from the table with relationships of other tables, the slicer will change dynamically.

And if it is from a seperate table, the slicer won't change. Based on my research, Power BI is not supported to change it automatically. You can vote this idea to make it coming soon.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.