Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GWTF
Helper I
Helper I

Accumulate monthly expenditures to specific year per specific product

Dear community,

I'm facing a true challenge for my novice PowerBI skills. I've loaded data from our Analysis Service/Data Warehouse since I'm unable to create measures of calculated columns using a Direct Query to our datacube.

Anyway, my current table is structured like this (column names and values may look like gibberish to you all since they are in Dutch):

Sample table.jpg

"Datum.Jaar" means year
"Datum.Maand" means month
"Datum.Maandnummer" means monthnumber
"Kostenplaats.Kostenplaats" means organizational unit
"Werkplanproduct.Proces" means organizational subunit
"Werkplanproduct.Werkplanproduct" means product (work plan)
"Begroot €" means budgeted
"Gerealiseerd €" means expenditures
"Verplicht €" means financial obligation
"Vrije ruimte €" means free financial space

I'm now able to visualize the monthly expenditures per year and product as seen below (rough draft):

Sample visual.jpg

But the diagram only shows the actual expenditure per month, whereas the idea is to sum the totals per month for an entire year. So I would like to be able to display a rising line from january ('1') to december ('12').

This should be possible with multiple measures or a calculated column, but I'm really lost how I should make this happen. The necessary columns are:

Datum.Jaar,

Datum.Maand,

Werkplanproduct.Werkplanproduct,

Gerealiseerd €

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards from The Netherlands & all the best,

Wilco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GWTF
Helper I
Helper I

First of all: thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my question. Highly appreciated!

It didn't solve my issues unfortunately. I've created the calendar table (altough I probably don't need it, there is already a date hierarchy present in the cube, just had to iincluded in my loaded table) and the YTD-calculations just sums up my total for a year and don't give me the montlhy totals I'm after.

But, while studying all the topics and also a lot of experimenting, I think I've solved my own problem. The following measure give me the monthly figures I was after:

running total measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Exploitatie[Gerealiseerd €]);
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Exploitatie);
'Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum] <= MAX('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum])
&&
YEAR('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum]) = YEAR(MAX('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum]))))

It displays the following diagram:

Sample visual2.jpg

The only issue I am having is data-related: there are months in which there aren't any expenditures and these months are visualized as dots. The line isn't continued to the following dot (or broken line for that matter):

Sample visual3.jpg

But this probably is an issue which can be resolved by the properties of the visual itself.

Anyway: thanks again and best regards,

Wilco

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GWTF
Helper I
Helper I

First of all: thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my question. Highly appreciated!

It didn't solve my issues unfortunately. I've created the calendar table (altough I probably don't need it, there is already a date hierarchy present in the cube, just had to iincluded in my loaded table) and the YTD-calculations just sums up my total for a year and don't give me the montlhy totals I'm after.

But, while studying all the topics and also a lot of experimenting, I think I've solved my own problem. The following measure give me the monthly figures I was after:

running total measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Exploitatie[Gerealiseerd €]);
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Exploitatie);
'Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum] <= MAX('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum])
&&
YEAR('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum]) = YEAR(MAX('Exploitatie'[Datum.Datum]))))

It displays the following diagram:

Sample visual2.jpg

The only issue I am having is data-related: there are months in which there aren't any expenditures and these months are visualized as dots. The line isn't continued to the following dot (or broken line for that matter):

Sample visual3.jpg

But this probably is an issue which can be resolved by the properties of the visual itself.

Anyway: thanks again and best regards,

Wilco

Hi @GWTF ,

Glad you found a solution.

I didn't really explain my post as well as I could have done. When I said about creating a calendar table, I should also have stated that you need to add a month column to that table, something like:

Month = FORMAT([Date], "mmm")

Also, adding a month number column will allow you to sort the month names in the data view so the text versions of the months can be sorted in the correct order:

monthKey = MONTH([Date])

You then use this month field from the calendar table as your chart axis, and the measure I provided earlier as values. This should work fine.

Pete 

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@BA_Pete

Hey Pete,

Yup, that was clear to me. Thank you. However, I kept getting the same montlhy expenditure figures. So not the accumulated ones.

Very strange, since the YTD-calculation is the suggested solution in multiple topics I've read.

Anyway, I'm very happy for now. It has been a small journey, but that is the only way to learn, right?

All the best,

Wilco

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @GWTF ,

The first thing you need to do is set up a calendar table. The quickest way to do this is to create a new table in the Data tab with the following:

calendar = CALENDARAUTO(12)

Then you will need to convert your Years and Months in your data table to dates that can be used in a relationship with your calendar table. How you go about this is up to you, but it is necessary to be able to make this relationship.

Once related, you can then use this measure which will give you the cumulative YTD value:

_cumuYTD = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(table[Gerealiseerd £]),
    DATESYTD(calendar[date], "12/31")
)

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@GWTF , You can use YTD with date calendar

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))

https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-ytd-questions-time-intelligence-1-5-e3174b39f38a

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-Y...

Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.