Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Accumulate customers on x axis in customer whale curve

Hi all, 

I am making an analysis of aggregated revenue for our customers from the largest to the smallest customers. As we have a couple of thousand customers, the x axis should not display the customer names, but the aggregated number of customers. The first picture shows what the graph should look like. However, when I make it in PowerBi, the graph becomes too big, as the X axis displays over 3.000 customers. Is there any way to fix this in PowerBI? 

Whale Curve.PNGpowerbi whale.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
codjoMensah
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous ,

I am currently trying to build a whale curve just like you with cumulative Revenue and number of contracts. Were you able to achieve the graph you wanted? I've tried many solutions without success and your post really sums up what I want. i'll be grateful if you could send me your calculations and the way you did it.

Thanks 

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try to create a calculated column as below and add it to X-Axis.

count = calculate (countrows(your table),filter(your table, your table[customer] = earlieryour table[customer]))

If it doesn't meet your requirement,  kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive for Business and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I succeded in making the calculated column that gives each customer a unique ID ( my problem was that each customer had maybe 1000+ rows in my table and I didn't know how to tell PowerBi to give unique ID based on customer and not each row).

I have also changed the measures to rank by the calculated column instead. However, now my graph looks like this:

Powerbi new.PNG

If I change it to a waterfall chart it sorts correctly, by the customer who has the biggest portion of revenue. However, I still need to be able to group them, so the graph doesn't become so long. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Powerbi new other.PNG

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try to use customer id on x-axis .

If do not have customer id create one using - https://radacad.com/create-row-number-for-each-group-in-power-bi-using-power-query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors