Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

salimgs
Frequent Visitor

Accessing Slicer filtered values through columns

I have a Dates table that lists daily dates in a range. I put a slicer on it.

I have a second table (lets call it Items) that is not related to Dates table but I need to have access to minimum and maximum filtered range of Dates selected by slicer.

If I define a measure =MAX(Dates[Date]) the value changes as the slicer changes.

But if I define a column in Items table, MAX(Dates[Date]) expression ignores slicer's range.

How can I access Slicer filtered values through columns?

PS: In my scenario I cannot set up a relationship between Dates and Items tables because I have multiple date columns in Items that cannot have a one-to-many relationship with Dates.

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @salimgs

Why does it have to be a column?  I wonder if you can achieve the effect you are after with a measure after all?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark for your response.

I can achive the effect with measure but I need it in column because I want to create a "flag" column to put it in visual filter pane.

Here is the scenario:

Date table has just one [date] field holding all posible dates. I have a slicer on this.

Items table has [Title], [forecast start date] [forecast finish date] [actual start date] [forecast start date]

Now I want to show a table with just the rows that at least one of its four date columns are in the sliced date range.

I can make a measure like this and it works:

Flag = CALCULATE(HASONEVALUE(Items),FILTER(Items, Items[forecast start date]>=(MIN(Date[date] && Items[forecast start date]<=MAX(Date[date]) || (Items, Items[forecast finish date]>=MIN(Date[date] && Items[forecast finish date]<=MAX(Date[date]))

But I cannot use this measure to visually filter my rows in Items (or at least don't know how to).

Any idea?

@salimgs,

You could create a measure like:

Measure = IF(MAX('Item'[forecast start date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[forecast start date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[forecast finish date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[forecast finish date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[actual start date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[actual start date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[autual finish date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[autual finish date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)

Then add this measure to your visual filter
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Your solution works but I noticed my solution also works if I use IF(A,1,0)+IF(B,1,0) instead of A || B. Please see attached. If we define a Boolean measure, the visual level filter does not comprehend that. Get the file from here: https://ufile.io/dl5bz

Untitled.png

Is this a bug? How we should report it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.