Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

salimgs
Frequent Visitor

Accessing Slicer filtered values through columns

I have a Dates table that lists daily dates in a range. I put a slicer on it.

I have a second table (lets call it Items) that is not related to Dates table but I need to have access to minimum and maximum filtered range of Dates selected by slicer.

If I define a measure =MAX(Dates[Date]) the value changes as the slicer changes.

But if I define a column in Items table, MAX(Dates[Date]) expression ignores slicer's range.

How can I access Slicer filtered values through columns?

PS: In my scenario I cannot set up a relationship between Dates and Items tables because I have multiple date columns in Items that cannot have a one-to-many relationship with Dates.

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @salimgs

Why does it have to be a column?  I wonder if you can achieve the effect you are after with a measure after all?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark for your response.

I can achive the effect with measure but I need it in column because I want to create a "flag" column to put it in visual filter pane.

Here is the scenario:

Date table has just one [date] field holding all posible dates. I have a slicer on this.

Items table has [Title], [forecast start date] [forecast finish date] [actual start date] [forecast start date]

Now I want to show a table with just the rows that at least one of its four date columns are in the sliced date range.

I can make a measure like this and it works:

Flag = CALCULATE(HASONEVALUE(Items),FILTER(Items, Items[forecast start date]>=(MIN(Date[date] && Items[forecast start date]<=MAX(Date[date]) || (Items, Items[forecast finish date]>=MIN(Date[date] && Items[forecast finish date]<=MAX(Date[date]))

But I cannot use this measure to visually filter my rows in Items (or at least don't know how to).

Any idea?

@salimgs,

You could create a measure like:

Measure = IF(MAX('Item'[forecast start date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[forecast start date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[forecast finish date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[forecast finish date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[actual start date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[actual start date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)+IF(MAX('Item'[autual finish date])>='Table'[MinDate]&&MAX('Item'[autual finish date])<='Table'[MaxDate],1,0)

Then add this measure to your visual filter
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Your solution works but I noticed my solution also works if I use IF(A,1,0)+IF(B,1,0) instead of A || B. Please see attached. If we define a Boolean measure, the visual level filter does not comprehend that. Get the file from here: https://ufile.io/dl5bz

Untitled.png

Is this a bug? How we should report it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.