Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Accessing SQL Blobs

Hi:

An ERP application stores document attachments in SQL as Blobs.

Is it possible for Power BI to access attachments for those who want to open, say, PDFs in a Power BI dashboard or report? If so, how?

Thank you!

John

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, Power Query has a "Binary" data type that you can then bend to your will, for example by declaring that you want to read that binary as a PDF.

Just add the blob to your SQL view columns.

Here's an example where I pull a bunch of CSV files out of their blobs (the [Content] column)  

#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns1", "CSV", each #"Get CSV file"([Content])), 

via a custom function where I do some basic transforms:

Get CSV File = 

(File) => let
Source = Csv.Document(File,[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I apologize, for getting upset.

How can that, at least, be done?  I cannot find any good and clear instructions on doing so.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
viktorglez

There is another alternative that may interest you to solve the problem,

Indirectly you can create an extractor externally (by programming it) to read the blob and build the file temporarily then you could reach that file through a link for that record:

You have this:

viktorglez_0-1701108540760.png

Then:

viktorglez_1-1701108582019.png

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may refer to the article: How to access data from Azure Blob Storage using Power BI.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Amy!

Would the same thing work for PDFs, as well as CSVs?

John

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, Power Query has a "Binary" data type that you can then bend to your will, for example by declaring that you want to read that binary as a PDF.

Just add the blob to your SQL view columns.

Here's an example where I pull a bunch of CSV files out of their blobs (the [Content] column)  

#"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns1", "CSV", each #"Get CSV file"([Content])), 

via a custom function where I do some basic transforms:

Get CSV File = 

(File) => let
Source = Csv.Document(File,[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

Anonymous
Not applicable

Frankly, I don't understand any of what you said.  Can you please supply some simple steps?  Does this sort of thing require prorgramming?  Can you not view the PDF attachments in Power BI?

Power BI is a Data Analytics tool, not a picture viewer.  There is a PDF visual somewhere but I think it is broken/unsupported.

What Power BI (Power Query) offers is a way to extract data from PDF files, like table data etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You told me, originally, that it could be done.  I told my boss that it could be done afterward, we relied on that information, and now I may have to cancel an important demo of this scheduled with a client for tomorrow.

Extracting data from PDF files that are stored as blobs - that can be done, and that is what I was referring to.  You did not mention that you want to display the PDF files in Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I apologize, for getting upset.

How can that, at least, be done?  I cannot find any good and clear instructions on doing so.

Here is an example with XML, the process is similar with PDF

let
    Source = Sql.Database("server", "database"),
    Reports = Source{[Schema="schema",Item="table"]}[Data],
    #"1" = Reports{[id_report=1]},
    Meta = #"1"[Meta],
    #"Parsed XML" = Xml.Tables(Meta),

This connects to a SQL server database, fetches the first row of a table, then fetches the blob from the [Meta] column and then parses the data in the blob as XML.

From there on you can traverse the XML structure and extract the data, much in the same way as you would open the PDF blob and then extract the data from there. The only difference will be that you use Pdf.Tables from binary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, I don;t understand any of that.  Woudl you please supply instructions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, for all of your help, lbendlin!  The demo went fine!  You're great, and I really appreciate all that you do!

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi:

You mentioned "Power Query".  What about Power BI?

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.