Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rcardoza
Frequent Visitor

Access to the resource is forbidden

I have a working report that I wanted to add an Indexed Column to one of the Queries I have been using and I constantly receive the "Access to the resource is forbidden" no matter what I try. Now I have tried to add the indexed column to another query and it works fine. The only difference here is that the query that I am having the issue with is a sub-query. That is to say, it is a query that uses the results of a previous query. Prior, to trying to add this column I can refresh the data and make other changes to know that my credentials seem to be fine. The minute I select the Indexed Column it tries but then pops up the reported message. If I try to re-certify my access I keep getting the same Access is forbidden message. 

Now, the parent resource for the query happens to be a Sharepoint file which seems to not be the issue. I can use the parent query on this resource to get the data I need. However, the sub query seems to only throw this error when I try to add an Indexed Column.

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I could add an Indexed Column to the original parent query.

Our IT support found the issue is with the columns added to the parent query that held sharepoint metadata records (column data indicated by "records" or "tables" which I did not have rights to access. So when adding a custom or conditional column PowerBI did not try to expand those it would just add the column, however, adding an Indexed Column was attempting to access the sharepoint metadata records which again I did not have rights to do so. After removing these columns from the parent query I can now add the Indexed Column I was looking to add.

So root cause was sharepoint permissions due to the way a sharepoint list is imported into PowerBI.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rcardoza,

Are you able to add the index column in parent query? What operation did you make in sub-query? Please provide more detailed steps so that I can reproduce.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I could add an Indexed Column to the original parent query.

Our IT support found the issue is with the columns added to the parent query that held sharepoint metadata records (column data indicated by "records" or "tables" which I did not have rights to access. So when adding a custom or conditional column PowerBI did not try to expand those it would just add the column, however, adding an Indexed Column was attempting to access the sharepoint metadata records which again I did not have rights to do so. After removing these columns from the parent query I can now add the Indexed Column I was looking to add.

So root cause was sharepoint permissions due to the way a sharepoint list is imported into PowerBI.

Thanks.

I got same error message.  Would you please send me more detail information about how to fix this problem?  This is Power BI or SharePoint list problem?  I can successfully connect data from Excel OData source, but not PowerBI.

Thanks, Liping

Hi

I keep receiving the resource forbidden error message when trying to import data to my Desktop Power BI. How do i correct this on my SharePoint permissions?

TIA

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.