Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichJW
Helper III
Helper III

Access to User.zip is denied

Hi,

I am receiving the below error message when trying to access Power BI Desktop. It is the latest version, however the issue has been apparent with previous versions as well.

Note: it was working 1 hour previous to this and will probably work okay in 2 hours time, however I have been trying for an hour to open it now with no success. Often I receive the error when I already have one report open in Power BI, but cannot open a second. Other times I cannot open any.

Having looked on this forum first, I have tried all potential fixes, however the issue remains.

I am on the latest version.

I have Full Control permissions in the zip file.

I cannot force my AV software to ignore it, however that cannot be the issue if it open at times anyway.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Desktop version and rebooted.

This has been ongoing for months.

"Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

Access to the path 'C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Stack Trace:

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.<LoadCachedStorage>b__8()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.EnsureFolderCreated(Action action)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.LoadCachedStorage()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.SharedLocalStorageAccessor.Access()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.TracingFeatureSwitchStorage.GetFeatureSwitches()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass10.<Main>b__0()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:

Access to the path 'C:\Users\p10029877\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip' is denied.

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)"

Thanks,

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to work around this issue.  I renamed the User.zip file to User1.zip.  Then relaunched PowerBI Desktop and the app came up.  The file must have been corrupt, and PowerBI created a new User.zip when I relaunched.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@RichJW,

What is the result if you run Power BI Desktop as administrator? Also I would recommend you turn off Anti-virus software and any add-ins ,  then check if you get any any errors in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply.

Running it as Administrator produces the same result. I'll check add-ins, but cannot disable my AV, as it's a work laptop.

To prove how erratic it is, it has started up fine for me this morning, yet wait until this afternoon when I need it the most :¬)

Rich

@RichJW,

Do you still get this issue? I guess that the issue is caused  by anti-virus software. I would recommend you temporarily disable anti-virus software and check the issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Typically, the issue has temporarily disappeared (as it does from time to time), however I will see if I can disable it when it re-appears, however it may be locked down as it is a business machine.

Thanks,

Rich

I was able to work around this issue.  I renamed the User.zip file to User1.zip.  Then relaunched PowerBI Desktop and the app came up.  The file must have been corrupt, and PowerBI created a new User.zip when I relaunched.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @RichJW@shustermeister,@v-yuezhe-msft,

2 years after you, I ran into exact the same problem last Fri and while I already had opened a support-ticket towards our IT dept, who also suspect a relationship with VirusChecker SW, a colleague advised me to try out (the same) following steps:

• Close PowerBI Desktop
  • Rename User.zip to User_old.zip
  • Re-open Power BI Desktop

Result: a new User.zip file is created with all required content, incl. a Settings file under folder UserInterface. Subsequently, I could open an existing dashboard, change, save, close and re-open it again without any problems.

Only remaining question to the MS PowerBI team en our IT dept:

• Is it possible, that I lost some of my old PowerBI Desktop settings, as stored in the original User.zip?

PS: refer for a similar issue to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-error-while-starting-User-zip-access-denied...

Regards,

André.

Thanks shustermeister, that sounds like a workable fix. Oddly enough, the issue used to occur every day, however since I put this post on it seems to have stopped - weird!

No doubt it will recur, so I'll try this then.

Cheers,

Rich

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors