Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fali
Regular Visitor

Access to Content Made in Pro for Free Users

We are contemplating using PowerBi, but I have concerns about the Free vs Pro version disparity. Is it possible for a Pro user to create content for a Free user to see? I'm having trouble figuring out how the distinction is actually created. Does it have to do with data import frequency?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

No, that is not publish to web. Go to the report in the service. Click on File | Publish to Web and it should generate a link that you can share.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

@fali

@Greg_Deckler is correct. On Power BI Service, you can directly have your report "Publish to Web". 

44.PNG

It will embedd the report into an iFrame. Your end user doesn't need Pro license to view the content.

For more details, please see: Publish to web from Power BI

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

With the recent licensing changes, the only way to do this now is to use "Publish to Web" or be using Power BI Premium.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/power-bi-licensing-pictures-greg-deckler-microsoft-mvp-

Latest book!:

Thank you for the link!

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "publish to web"? For example, I've created a report in Power BI Desktop clicked the "Publish" button (presumably this button is "publish to web"?) and assigned it to a group. The problem that I'm experiencing is that a user in the group who is not a Pro user is unable to click on the report at all. It asks them to sign up for the pro version.

I'm trying to figure out the necessity of Pro for our needs, but I'm assuming since I'm on a Pro trial anything I create can only be viewed, but Pro users. Is there a way to say disable my pro status for a report or something like that?

Premium seems excessive for an institution of our size but seems like it would solve the problems I've mentioned. Unfortunately, it sounds like maybe the only solution is to get multiple Pro licenses.

@fali

@Greg_Deckler is correct. On Power BI Service, you can directly have your report "Publish to Web". 

44.PNG

It will embedd the report into an iFrame. Your end user doesn't need Pro license to view the content.

For more details, please see: Publish to web from Power BI

No, that is not publish to web. Go to the report in the service. Click on File | Publish to Web and it should generate a link that you can share.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.