Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GrantTrevor
Regular Visitor

Access tables from a Direct Query Dataset in a Blank Query

I'm trying to work out if it's possible to access Tables that exist within a Power BI dataset that is using Direct Query from another Query.

Steps so far:

* New Power BI Desktop Report

* Add Power BI Dataset from Power BI Service

* Switch to Direct Query storage mode

* Click 'Get Data' -> Blank Query

None of the tables from the Dataset appear in the left hand Queries view when Power Query open.

I've tried accessing the tables within the Advanced Query editor using a number of approaches all of which result in an error

I understand I can't modify the tables in the original Dataset but I would like to create a new Table based on data in the Direct Query Dataset.

"DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: The user "....." does not have permission to call the Discover method."

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@GrantTrevor , the Power bi dataset will come as full.  And you can do changes or view script as of now.

You can try dataflows, in case you want access tables separately. But dataflow is not a model, just a set of  tables in service.

Thanks @amitchandak  for that response.

I'm not trying to alter the tables in the direct query dataset instead what I would like to achieve is to create a new Table that pulls in data from that Direct Query Dataset but have that table only be present in the Report I'm authoring.

This would mean the Report uses two DataSets

* one pulled in via Direct Query

* one that is for this Report only and it contains a Table that pulls/transforms data from the other one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors