Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Access issues with PowerBI Datasets

Hi, 

I am currently having issues when trying to convert a PowerBI dataset connection from live connection to a Local model in order to add other tables.

It works when I do it on my tenancy however when connected to my customers tenancy I get the error below:

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Is there a tenant setting that could prevent this?

I have the preview feature enabled and the data works fine when connected as a live connection to the dataset.

Any help would be appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @judspud , 

Please ensure.

• To get started with this feature, you’ll first need to enable the preview option in Power BI Desktop. Navigate to File > Options and settings > Options > Preview features and enable Power BI Service Live Connection. You’ll need to restart Desktop in order for the option to take effect. Please check your  customers have enable the feature.
  • You may not see every dataset that is available to you in the Power BI service, the datasets you’ll see listed are:

• Datasets you have edit access to. These include datasets you’ve created or datasets you have edit access to in a shared workspace. Datasets created from service content packs should show up in this list as well.
    • Datasets coming from data sources via import, DirectQuery or Push. We do not yet support SSAS data sources via this method, but it is on our roadmap to support this as well.
    • Datasets from Organization Apps once you’ve made a copy. In order to get edit access to a dataset in an org app, you first need to make a copy.

More details: Establish a Power BI service live connection to the published dataset 

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Change dataset for "Power BI service" live connection? 

If I have misunderstood your meaning , please provide a screenshot with more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Polly,

I had the preview feature enabled and the correct permissions. After a bit more investigation into the incoming and outgoing traffic from PowerBI Desktop when converting the live connection to a local model, the address of XXXX.pbidedicated.windows.net was not white listed in my customers tenant. This was then returning an error hence the model not loading properly. 

We are awaiting the address to be whitelisted so I will be able to confirm if this was in fact the issue once that has been done 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.