Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

domc23
Helper I
Helper I

Access granted by user login

Hello, I hope I am in the right forum for this question. And I hope that I explain it correctly. My company has built an Executive Dashboard that we can use and show to our brokers and clients. We have SSO incorporated into the dashboard already, that allows a client to login to our portal and passthrough to the dashboard. That part is working fine. Here is what we are looking / hoping to do. Because there could be hundreds of clients utilizing the portal and dashboard, we are looking for a way to restrict what a user can see based to access given to each user id. The hope is we will not have to build out hundreds of dashboards to restrict individuals to what they should only be able to see.

Is there a way to build some sort of table that would house all the login and access information that the master dashboard would lookup and only show the information that has been setup for that user ID.

I do not have any code or anything writen out at this time as I am not programmer. Looking for any information / direction on if this can even be done and if so, how might I go about setting soemthing like this up?

Thank you all in advance for any direction you can offer.  

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @domc23,

What are the things you want to filter or hide? 

If it's data, for example, User A only can see data of Customer A, you can try power-bi/service-admin-rls.

If you want to hide some tiles from the Dashboard, I'm afraid it isn't available.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Dale,

Basically, all the data will be loaded into one master dashboard. We are looking to restrict what a client / broker can see based on their SSO login to the dashboard. We would need to create some sort of table that would say, broker A can have access to client data based on their affiliation to that client. They would not be able to see any of the other client data that would be loaded into the dashboard.

Does that make any sense?

Hi @domc23,

The RLS is the right way you can try. The function USERNAME can recognize the login user. Please refer to service-admin-rls#using-the-username-or-userprincipalname-dax-function.

One Note: the RLS won't work if the end users have Edit permission.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.