Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access data from POST API

Hi All,

I need to access the data from the POST API given by the client.

I have the information provided by the client:

Verb: POST

DEV Endpoint: https://clientwebsitename.azurewebsites.net/dev/masterdata/departments/get

Required header: X-Token (pass in the user’s JWT)

Returned JSON has an element named uiList that holds a list of all permitted departments.

Can anyone please help how to access the data from this API provided, I have tried most but it returns a 404 error.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous,

>>DataSource.Error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server.

Perhaps this issue appears when you try to use the wrong connector to recognize response data.
I'd like to suggest you navigation to the 'Source' step to confirm the result type and change to the corresponding connector in the next steps to recognize/analytics records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

You can take a look at the following link about using a web connector to get data from the rest API with authorizations:

Pull data from a REST API Authentication 

Sample code:

let
	 token = 'your token',
	 body= 'request body',
	 url = "https://clientwebsitename.azurewebsites.net/",
	 Source = Web.Contents(url,
		 [
			 Headers = [#"X-Token"=token],
			 RelativePath="dev/masterdata/departments/get",
			 Content = Text.ToBinary(body) 
		 ]
	 )
 in
	Source

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank You for the reply, I have tried the code you have provided but it gives the following error-

Expression.Error: The 'X-Token' header is only supported when connecting anonymously. These headers can be used with all authentication types: Accept, Accept-Charset, Accept-Encoding, Accept-Language, Cache-Control, Content-Type, If-Modified-Since, Prefer, Range, Referer.

I have tried in postman and it works, what process I have used in postman as below-

1. I have URL to get Token:  (jwt)

URL: https://Clientwebsite.azurewebsites.net/dev/auth/user/authenticate

here I have provided the payload as well

2. Then another URL to get the Data

URL:  https://Clientwebsite.azurewebsites.net/dev/masterdata/departments/get

here I have provided Kayname (X-Token) and jwd Token(generated from 1st step).

Please help me to retrieve the data.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems like you need to add the first strep into the query table to get the access token and use in the following steps, I try to modify the formula to add the first step into the formula:

let
	// Uses the Twitter POST oauth2/token method to obtain a bearer token
	GetJson = Web.Contents(url,
		[
			Headers = [#"Authorization"=authKey, #"Content-Type"="application/json"],//use the sent parameters and name as you do in postman to replace current Authorization			 
			RelativePath="dev/auth/user/authenticate"
		]
	),
	token = Json.Document(GetJson)['token name'],//use tokne name to repalce 'tokne name' part to extract the responsed token
		 [
			 Headers = [#"X-Token"=token, #"Content-Type"="application/json"],
			 RelativePath="dev/masterdata/departments/get"
		 ]
	 ),
	Result=Json.Document(Source)
 in
	Result

BTW, how did you post the authorizations in your requests? In the header, body or concatenate into query string? My formula is add authorized into the headers and it may not suitable for all scenarios.

Chris Webb's BI Blog 
Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for the suggestion, But it gives the error,

What I have tried:

let
body = "{
""grant_type"": ""client_credentials"",
""TenantId"": ""Client2"",
""UserSignon"": ""corp2019"",
""Password"": ""test""
}",
GetJson = Web.Contents(url,
[
Headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/raw"],
Content=Text.ToBinary(body),//use the sent parameters and name as you do in postman to replace current Authorization
RelativePath="dev/auth/user/authenticate"
]
),
token = Json.Document(GetJson)['jwt'],
[
Headers = [#"X-Token"=token, #"Content-Type"="application/json"],
RelativePath="dev/masterdata/departments/get"
]
),
Result=Json.Document(Source)
in
Result

The  Query is run successfully when suppressed the ['jwt'] from 2nd query and  It generated the 2 Token with Value as below

Token.png

The problem is ['jwt] is not worked, it gives error as" Invalid Identifier".

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

My fault, it seems like I added additional characters '' in the sample formula. In fact, the '' characters are not needed. Please use [jwt] to replace ['jwt'] and try again.

BTW, please do mask on the sensitive data from your sample formal and snapshots.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-shex-msft,

But it is still showing the following error:

DataSource.Error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server.

Thanks

HI @Anonymous,

>>DataSource.Error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type. The URL may be wrong or you might not have provided the right credentials to the server.

Perhaps this issue appears when you try to use the wrong connector to recognize response data.
I'd like to suggest you navigation to the 'Source' step to confirm the result type and change to the corresponding connector in the next steps to recognize/analytics records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You @v-shex-msft 

Now it works.

Thanks a Lot.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your request is incomplete. POST requires a payload in the request body.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have another link as well as Payload contains the username and password to access the data from the given link

Thanks

Here is an example. Use Json.FromValue to binary encode your payload

let
URL = "http://xxx/tstat",
headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/json"],
data = Json.FromValue([tmode = 2,t_cool = Setpoint,hold = 0]),
web = Web.Contents(URL, [ Content = data, Headers = headers, ManualStatusHandling = {404, 400}]),
result = Json.Document(web)

in 

result

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin,

Sorry but I am new to this process, can you please tell me where I can use this code?

This is Power Query (also referred to as M) . You use that to connect to your data sources.

If you are new to Power BI then you may want to start with an easier project.  Running POST calls is rather advanced.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin 

Sorry It's my bad, I mean to say, is it need to type in the Advance editor of Power Query Editor?

Also having one question, Where to add the Header Name (i.e,- X-Token)  and jwd token generated from the payload.

Yes, this goes in the advanced editor. Same for the header (as shown in the example)

When you get the data back from the POST call you need to parse it as needed.  Again this is done in the same Advanced editor.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.