Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Access Forbidden connecting to SharePoint Online List

I've tried looking this up, but all answers so far have been to use different credential types, and I can't even make it that far. 

I go to Get Data >> Sharepoint Online List >> enter in the URL. It returns a pop-up asking for the site URL.

SP1.PNG

I fill in the proper site URL and click ok. It returns the error message below. If I click retry, it just runs the same URL again. If I click EDIT, it takes me back to fill in the site URL, but I never get to the page where it asks for credentials.  I don't have issues connecting to lists with ODATA in SSIS. Can someone help me get past this?

SP2.PNG

I feel like it has to be an issue on the SharePoint side, but I'm not sure what needs to happen because I'm not familiar with sharepoint permissions. I have access to the site I'm using in the URL. I cleared the Power BI Desktop cache as well.

Edit: As a test, my coworker who is the SharePoint admin, was just able to connect immediately without issue. He never got a screen that allows you to enter the credential type to use, it just went off of his windows account it seems. Just straight from the enter URL screen (first one above) to the list of lists on the site. Anybody know why the credential screen would be gone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ohthreesixfive
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello smileamile,

I had a user come to me with this exact issue earlier today. We resolved it by updating credentials stored in the data source settings itself.

To do so, in the toolbar click on 'Edit Queries' and select 'Data source settings':

img1.png

Highlight the connection in question:

img2.png

Click 'Edit Permissions' below the list of data sources:

img3.png

Under Credentials, click 'Edit':

(Note: When we looked here, it had somehow changed to 'Windows', which is likely where the error came from)

img4.png

In the credentials dialog, click on 'Microsoft account' (which may sometimes say 'Organizational account') and then 'Sign in':

img5.png

That should finally get you to the sign-in page where you can enter the appropriate credentials.

Login, click 'Save', and try connecting to the SharePoint List again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Ramiro Melgoza

Oh! ThreeSixtyFive (@ohthreesixfive)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

To all,

This question has come up numerous times in many communities related to SharePoint and Power BI. There seems to be three particular places in the process where people go wrong. So, I created a video that walks you through the process, shows you the most common issues you'll face, and how to address them. I hope you find this helpful. https://marqueeinsights.com/how-to-data-mine-a-sharepoint-list-with-power-bi/

Thanks!

Treb Gatte, Data Platform MVP (Power BI)

Thanks @trebgatt,

The video has been very helpful indeed. Could you also describe the steps to connecting the share point list for a paginated report. (using Report Builder or Report Manager).

The reason i ask is because there is no logging option to connect using Organizational/Microsoft Account when creating a paginated report in Report Builder. Im using Power BI Report Server (sep 2019).

Would appreciate having a similar solution for paginated reports.

-YaseenJan

mageshraja
Frequent Visitor

Hi ohthreesixfive,

This solution works fine for 24hrs, after which the same error repeats as below. Issue get solved after the same sequence as said. 

• Error : Access Forbidden connecting to SharePoint Online L...

Is this normal, that every 24hrs we need to repeat the process . Pls clarify.

Regards,

Magesh 

EricS13

helped me 

thx a lot

ohthreesixfive
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello smileamile,

I had a user come to me with this exact issue earlier today. We resolved it by updating credentials stored in the data source settings itself.

To do so, in the toolbar click on 'Edit Queries' and select 'Data source settings':

img1.png

Highlight the connection in question:

img2.png

Click 'Edit Permissions' below the list of data sources:

img3.png

Under Credentials, click 'Edit':

(Note: When we looked here, it had somehow changed to 'Windows', which is likely where the error came from)

img4.png

In the credentials dialog, click on 'Microsoft account' (which may sometimes say 'Organizational account') and then 'Sign in':

img5.png

That should finally get you to the sign-in page where you can enter the appropriate credentials.

Login, click 'Save', and try connecting to the SharePoint List again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Ramiro Melgoza

Oh! ThreeSixtyFive (@ohthreesixfive)

Thankyou thankyou thankyou @ohthreesixfive  - It fixed it for me. This is going to be so helpful!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.